March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, TominPittsburgh, Vol423), 779 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
topgun #588473 12/29/20 08:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, thanks I will try that next time. I always edit the pictures because when I take them they are very large and so I edit the size.

Something isn't right either with the one I posted or the one that was sold. The one I posted looks like it had Finest Damascus barrels whereas the other stated Whitworth Fluid Steel.
I will have to write to the person that sent me the picture I posted to see if that gun was sold. Confusing!!!!!!

I also noted that the trigger guard on the picture I had shows a dog engraved on it, whereas the other has an eagle holding a banner stating Protection to the American Industry.
I also believe that when this gun was made there were no recoil pads

Last edited by David Williamson; 12/29/20 09:03 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Williamson
When I was doing research on the engravers that were at The L.C. Smith Gun Works, Syracuse, N.Y. and then moved to Fulton, N.Y. when the Gun Works was sold, I had heard of a Optimus grade that was done for President Benjamin Harrison that was engraved by A. Spangler and he had signed the lock plate with his name on it. I didn't have a picture which I thought I did but put a few feelers out and did receive an email back with a picture of the gun and was able to enlarge it and see Spangler's name on it. I was told I could have the picture but the owner wished to remain anonymous.
L.C. Smith hired only the best engravers the Spangler Brothers, Joseph Glahn and his 3 sons and a young Albert Kraus. The Spangler's were the first to go to Fulton for the now Hunter Arms Co. and then the Glahn's along with Kraus. It is known fact that the Spangler's and Joseph Glahn did other work for Lefever and Parker in the early days and possibly others as well.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/pLvT5B1.jpg?1[/img]

There's a few things that aren't correct here.

1. Jacob Glahn, not Joseph. Born in Germany, raised in Brooklyn, NY, arrives in Meriden, CT and engraves for Parker, then Syracuse for Lefever and LC Smith.
2. Only Jacob and his 2nd son Augustus went to work at Hunter. Every indication I have seen -- including U.S. and NY State census records, as well as business directory records -- put his first son George and 3rd son Theodore, in Syracuse. They are listed for a time as staff engravers for Syracuse Arms Co., and also as independent engravers. Clearly the possibility exists that they worked for Hunter at a distance, but if so, I have seen no reference to this effect.
3. Outside of Cincinnati, OH, where they were from and ultimately returned, Albert Spangler and his kid brother Milton (not "Wilton," as is incorrectly noted in both internet threads and books), I have not found a reference to them living anywhere in NY State other than Syracuse. So their continued work on LC's after Hunter acquired it seems to have been done at a distance (which would not have been odd in that day). Not long after the turn of the century they were back in Cincinnati.
4. As an aside, Wilber Glahn was the son of George, and became famous on his own, engraving 15+ years at Remington, followed by almost 30 years at Colt. He, and his grandfather Jacob, were probably the best of the Glahn clan.

NDG

topgun #588514 12/30/20 12:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nudge I stand corrected on Jacob Glahn's first name. I indicated that Jacob and his three sons came to Fulton, I did not say all of the sons worked at Hunter Arms Co.
The Spanglers' did live in Fulton and below is a copy from the Fulton Patriot.

Jacob Glahn
A. E". Kraus recalls the many changes in the engraving department fronTTK"e~old dys. The first engraving from Syracuse were ^A. E. Spangler and his brother, Milton; succeded six or seven years later by Jacob Glahn and his sons, George, "Gus," and Theo, who lived in the old white house on Third~~street now occupied" by the McCordys. "All" Kraus, who has been in charge of the engraving department for many years, worked with the Glahns and LaFevers in* Syracuse and later moved to Fulton when the Spangler s lived on Erie and Sixth street in a big house with a fancy iron fence, around it. That house is still standing.

Jacob Glahn's full obituary is as follows:
Obituary from Fulton Patriot:
Glahn - Died at his home, 258 South Third Street, Fulton, Saturday October 5th, 1902. Jacob Glahn, in his 70th year. Funeral services at the residence Tuesday afternoon, Rev. W.L Sawtelle officiating. temporary internment in Mt. Adnah receiving vault, under Masonic auspices, Permanent internment in Syracuse Later.

It is with deep regret that The Patriot chronicles the demise of our friend and fellow townsman, Jacob Glahn, which occurred Saturday evening at his home in South Third street at the ripe age of 70 years, the cause of being the result of a paralytic stroke.

On Friday evening, October 3rd, Mr. Glahn retired at 11 o'clock, suffering from a severe headache, but he attached no importance to it. On the following morning his son Augustus is passing his father's sleeping room saw him lying on the floor near the door, in his night clothes apparently asleep. He tried to arouse him and found him unconscious. Medical aid was called and the unfortunate man removed to his bed. He continued in an unconscious state, with his right side paralyzed and no power of speech until about Friday, when he seemed to rally and was partially conscious. On Saturday there was a change for the worse and he passed away at 4:35 p.m.

Jacob Glahn was born in Germany in 1852 and at the age of four years he came to New York city with his parents. As soon as he reached the proper aged he served a thorough apprenticeship as an engraver with the best workmen in the metropolis. in 1851 he married Miss Ellizabeth Worthege and the union was blessed with four children, vis.; George of Syracuse, Augustus, Theodore and Miss Mae Glahn of this city, who together morn the loss of a kind husband and father in all that these terms imply. Mr. Glahn is also survived by two brothers, George A. Glahn of Foreatville, Conn., and Augustus Glahn of New York; also, one sister, Mrs. Lousia Kunz of Brooklyn.

Mr. Glahn and his family came to Fulton in 1893 and took charge of the L. C. Smith gun engraving department of the Hunter Arms Co., his sons Theodore and Augustus assisting in the same department. And with the exception of three years, they have done all the engraving. The deceased was one of the best engravers in the country and has produced some of the finest work in his line that has ever been done on guns or silverware, some of his productions having been sold at high figures.

Mr. Glahn was a member of the Masonic order and was held in high esteem by the members of the lodge, Hiram No. 144, of this city.

He was well educated and kept posted o current events and of that genial social nature which made friends of all who formed his acquaintance. he was also noted for his manly, straight-forward course in the every-day life and his donations to the poor, while made quietly, were numerous. He openly denounced all shams and dishonesty in individual and officials, and was a citizen any city might be proud of. His loss to Fulton will be keenly felt and a large circle of friends will deeply sympathize with the relatives in their sad affliction.

David

topgun #588519 12/30/20 01:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

David,

Wow look at that. Thank you very much, I have not seen this reference before. George and Theo have "official" residence in Syracuse throughout this time, so I guess they moved back and forth as work required.

Thank you for sharing this. Truthfully, if they are counted as staying at a house there it would be hard to believe they WEREN'T doing some work there. Jacob would presumably have farmed out work to all of them, just as Albert Spangler did with his brother.

I'll have to have a look through my records to see what years George was explicitly listed as the engraver at Syracuse Arms. Perhaps it was intermittent.

NDG

topgun #588537 12/30/20 04:59 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a great and beautiful gun! Glad to see more GA folks on here

Stanton Hillis #588539 12/30/20 05:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ain't that the truth-only wish that Uncle Danny LeFever was as astute businessman, as Chuck Parker, Louie Smith (Ithaca) and Johnny Olin- alas... RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
topgun #588544 12/30/20 05:41 PM
topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"What a great and beautiful gun! Glad to see more GA folks on here".

Brother 67G - I've been "here" for years, just seldom post these days; want to avoid getting caught up in the bickering involving too many posts, and many others are technical in nature and beyond my expertise. So I limit my comments to areas where I do have knowledge, and to those I think might be of interest to collectors. And in that regard am glad some members found this Optimus "discovery" interesting, as I've since learned this to be the earliest/lowest serial number Optimus yet recorded by the LACA. These early Optimus guns are indeed beautiful examples of "gun art", but neither the subject gun or the Harrison Optimus come close to being as beautiful as the Linneman Optimus featured in the Spring 2001 issue of the Double Gun Journal.

And for what it's worth, although Brother Stan still hails from GA, yours truly is now a resident of SC; relocated in 2013 for a career opportunity too good to pass. So SC is now "home", meaning I really need to update my profile; but Lord how I miss those red clay hills of my north GA home!

By the way, I've always admired the 60's era Galaxies and consider the '67 Galaxie a great looking car; but my favorite Galaxie models were the '63 and '64 "fastbacks".

topgun #588550 12/30/20 06:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Runs, since you mentioned Ithaca and a Louie Smith (don't know who that Smith is) but I thought you might like this. Don't know the year but I do know that George Livermore (brother-in-law to Lyman C. Smith) worked till he was 93 years old at Ithaca. Lyman's older brother Leroy also worked at Ithaca along with W.H. Baker in the very beginning.

David

topgun #588922 01/02/21 12:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I received an answer back from the gentleman about the picture I posted, I stand corrected, that Optimus grade is a 10 gauge known as the Neighbors gun.

David

Marks_21 #588951 01/02/21 04:26 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like over a 3" drop in the buttstock-nice gun indeed, but I couldn't shoot it well in the field, except maybe for rabbits being chased out by a beagle- great sport, but a LeFever Duston Special would serve the same purpose, assuming the same aprox. drop. The late Paul A, Curtis once remarked that, in his experience, a die-hard rabbit hunter would prefer more drop in the stock than, say, a driven grouse shooter. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.