April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,138 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've done a bunch of pads, but still have trouble getting the X cuts for the screws perfectly neat so the cuts are as invisible as possible. I use an Exacto knife carefully and I bet 1/3 of my X's end up slighty muffed; either sawed or dinged. The perfect ones are clean X's that close up tight.

Is there a method or tool that will help with fewer muffed cuts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeti,

I prefer a single vertical slice, and not too skimpy, maybe 3/8"...no longer use the "X" which leaves fragile little points that tear out. IME, the slice is invisible and much more durable, especially if I remember to use a large dollop of vaseline or light silicon grease on the screw as well as the driver.

I insert the screw tip from the underside to give me the location, then pierce it with a very sharp Xacto knife.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Mike but I used a dowel rod to push thru the pad instead of screw.

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do as Mike an Ken, single vertical slice, vaseline on the No. 11 Eggzacto blade and some on the pad, 3/8" ish long, grease up the screw threads liberally before inserting with a phillips screwdriver. Virtually invisible.

The trick that has worked best for me is to use Snowseal.

I push the screws in from the backside point first, push the pad down on the bench with the heads of the screws heads on the bench.

You will see the tips trying to push through, take the point of a sharp knife, push the screw the other way back out, do the same to both.

Take a round shank screwdriver coat it with snow seal, coat the screws a second time and run in till the heads poke through the back side of the pad.

Place it on the butt end of the stock to get it aligned, Tap with a lite weight the head of each screw.

You now have your marks to drill. Using a #31 drill bit, drill both holes.

Get another screw the same size as the one in the pad. Run it in to both holes to pre-tapp.

Clean the butt face with 91% Alcohol and the face of the pad. Put two spots of glue (top and bottom). Now run in the pad screws.

While you wait for the glue to set, mask the stock with three layers of one inch masking tape. When you are done, you are ready to sand, and get dirty.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks again, guys.
Adding a pad is not a big deal. But, for 20 years I've been making an X cut and the broken "fragile little points" were often marring otherwise decent work. The single cut is the now obvious answer.
An extra inch for my buttplated NID, now to 15 1/8" and ready to shoot. Pad needs final polish and aging.

Last edited by Yeti; 07/10/07 10:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeti,

niiiiice. Where did the pad come from?

APS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What are you doing for aging?

al

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike,
It's from Galazan and has good rubber that grinds nicely. I saw your hen's tooth for sale. Nice, I didn't think it would take too long...

APS,
Take it off the stock and soak in black coffee for half an hour. Wash and dry, repeat for color. Then oxidize the rubber - get that hard skin going - by leaving it out in the sun for a week of bright days. A high voltage UV light will do it too. I doubt I have the testes to perform Ortolan's rapid oxidation method, pour lighter fluid on it and light her up for a couple of secs.

Last edited by Yeti; 07/10/07 10:59 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My question for you is: who told you to make "X" cuts? I've installed scores of pads, from all the major makers and have never seen instructions that said to make anything but a single cut. My experience includes reading quite a few articles about installing pads.

> Jim Legg <

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.