April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, Stanton Hillis, battle, Ken Nelson, Jtplumb, btbell), 876 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,829
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
dukxdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just picked this up. I really know little about Lefevers.

The receiver and triggers are nickel. Beavertail forend.

One set of 28" barrels and a set of 30" barrels.

Let me know what you might know. Thanks!

[/url]

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

E grd with ejectors. I don't think the receiver and triggers are nickel, look as if they been polished. I doubt the beavertail is original. Neat find with serial numbered two barrel set.

Last edited by battle; 01/07/21 01:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

An E Grade ejector nicely refurbished. I doubt the wood is original. The two barrel "set" may be for real, but I doubt it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

This gun was very incorrectly advertised on Gunbroker as a rare variation.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885208786

It is really just an E Grade that has been restocked and very poorly and incorrectly refinished.

The seller claimed that serious collectors told him that the beavertail forend was original and rare. Lefever never built a gun with a beavertail forend. Period. The case hardening colors on the frame are polished off, and it has been incorrectly nickel plated. No Lefever shotguns were ever nickel plated. The sideplates which were also originally bone charcoal color case hardened have been blued. This was NOT a special order feature, as the seller claimed.

The weep holes in the lower rib indicate that these barrels may have been hot blued, which can be very bad and cause the solder joints to fail. There is a good chance that the second set of barrels was purchased by the original owner from Lefever Arms Co. because one set has two different serial numbers. This was an original practice. It is a shame that a two barreled set has been desecrated in this manner.

The stock is almost certainly Black walnut. All Syracuse built Lefevers had English walnut stocks. This was not stocked by Ithaca. The style is all wrong.

Sorry to give you all of this bad news. It would cost way more than it is worth to correctly restore it. The seller covered his ass with his admission that he is not an expert. The next time you buy a gun, it might be a good idea to get accurate information before you spend your hard earned money. I'd advise you to sell it as is , and cut your losses.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

dukxdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not a big deal about originality to me. I paid for a shooter not a collector. I got it to break some clays and shoot some pheasants.

I won a Lefever 5-stand a few years ago with a loaner gun. They needed a 5th shooter so loaned me one. I won it for a case of RST shotshells. I figure they might not loan me another so I have one to shoot next time smile

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dukxdog
Not a big deal about originality to me. I paid for a shooter not a collector. I got it to break some clays and shoot some pheasants.

In that case you are good. Enjoy a pretty and interesting gun and shoot it without concern for loss of value...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

In that case you are good. Enjoy a pretty and interesting gun and shoot it without concern for loss of value...Geo

I guess Geo missed those big weep holes in the bottom rib that are a sign that the barrels have been hot blued. There have been a lot of threads and posts on this forum warning about the risk of the solder joints failing due to the corrosive hot blue salts, and ribs popping loose, Those threads also tell about the considerable cost of a rib re-lay and slow rust re-blue. The big beavertail forend will help that rib popping process too. Recoil plus increased mass of the big fat beavertail equals the inertia that puts excessive strain on the forend hanger.

The good news is that there were a number of other bidders who wanted this gun for some reason. So you can sell it and cut your losses, and buy one that is original and won't self-destruct.

I could make you feel good about this purchase... or I could tell you the truth. I chose to tell you the truth. I will do you no favors by making you feel good about a mistake. Sorry.

EDIT: It is interesting than an E Grade of this vintage does not have the sear engagement adjusting screws in the sideplates.

Last edited by keith; 01/07/21 02:56 PM. Reason: no sear adjusters

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're happy, then I'm happy for you; but should you ever need to sell the gun, or your heirs decide the sell her, then I hope you didn't pay the nearly $10K the Gunbroker seller was asking. I don't recall seeing a single bid the month or so it was listed on GB.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did see what the gun went for and it was no where near $10K. A little over 1/10 of that. At that price I'm sure he could re-coup his money if need be, but as he stated he was happy with the deal, and as you stated Tom, if you're happy, then I'm happy for you as well.

David

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

I guess Geo missed those big weep holes in the bottom rib that are a sign that the barrels have been hot blued. There have been a lot of threads and posts on this forum warning about the risk of the solder joints failing due to the corrosive hot blue salts, and ribs popping loose, Those threads also tell about the considerable cost of a rib re-lay and slow rust re-blue. The big beavertail forend will help that rib popping process too. Recoil plus increased mass of the big fat beavertail equals the inertia that puts excessive strain on the forend hanger.

The good news is that there were a number of other bidders who wanted this gun for some reason. So you can sell it and cut your losses, and buy one that is original and won't self-destruct.

I could make you feel good about this purchase... or I could tell you the truth. I chose to tell you the truth. I will do you no favors by making you feel good about a mistake. Sorry.

EDIT: It is interesting than an E Grade of this vintage does not have the sear engagement adjusting screws in the sideplates.

Keith... not to argue the point, but are you sure just because it has weep holes that the barrels were hot blued? They dont appear to look hot blued. But I dont claim to be an expert without gun in hand. Also I know Ive seen Ithaca barrel with weep holes. Im sure they werent hot blued.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.