March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I won't guesstimate a value but can provide a small amount of information. The records record a total of 205 Ideal Grade 10-bore shotguns with the overwhelming majority shipping with 32" Damascus barrels. The rarest 10-bore Ideals have steel barrels (total unknown), auto-ejectors (36), and a Hunter One-trigger (1). Yours has Damascus barrels and is a manual extractor model with double triggers that would have been made between 1913 and 1919 given that it has the Curtis fore end fastener. With collectible guns, having most original finishes intact is critical for greatest value; and factory finishes on this gun are badly worn, so don't think it will be very desirable amongst collectors even though it is an uncommon Ideal grade as regards bore size (Ideal Grades are very common except for 10 and .410 bores).

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the reply.

The gun isn't actually mine. It is a gun that I'm considering buying. Just trying to figure out what a fair purchase price would be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, in the event it does become yours, you'll be the only guy at the dove shoot with an Ideal Grade 10-bore; should provide a great opportunity for some interesting conversations! In the interim I suggest you post your photos and question to the LCSCA forum (lcsmith.org) making sure they understand that you're looking to purchase the gun and are not selling. Good luck>

Sidelock
Sidelock

$800 tops. Not a desirable gun, even though it's a graded gun a little on the uncommon side. A heavy, cumbersome gun in a near useless gauge in today's shooting and hunting environment. People are killing turkeys at 50 yds. with a .410. Now, if you just want it...
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 01/13/21 12:19 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Maynard Rowley
Welcome on your first postings smile

$800 and under would be just dandy !

Here is a TOP END price

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884656518

https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/item/3479-358/

To show pictures, display one of them, click on EMBED CODES, copy the BB Code link and paste here

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by skeettx; 01/13/21 01:38 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know if it helps or not because it was maybe 10 years go, but I traded one off that was in a little better condition than that one, if that one is tight and on face. Mine was a 00 grade, with 32" barrels. It weighed 10 pound plus. I loaded 2 7/8" shells for it for a few years, then realized it's usefulness, for me, was minimal. I used it for ducks once in Arkansas. Traded it off and got $850 off the sale price of a much nicer L C Smith. Paid $500 for it, AIR.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would not compare the one on Gun Broker to the other one, the Gun Broker one is a Syracuse 10 ga. Quality 3 made around 1888 and from the weight shown would be a a medium frame. The Syracuse line of guns were built very well with fine checkering, best English walnut etc.
The one the gentleman is looking to buy could be a nice gun and if he could get it for $800 it would be a good deal.

David

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you! I'll have to remember that trick for pictures.

Tried the LC Smith site but no replies there yet. So I appreciate all of the replies from the people here. I knew it wasn't a high dollar gun but wasn't sure of its actual value.

I can get the gun for $500 Can, which is around $400 US I think. Sounds like that price is pretty fair.

I have a soft spot for the "odd-ball" gauges; 10ga & 16ga. My 16ga sxs gets plenty of use around the farm and is perfect for upland. Bought my 10ga semi for geese but haven't made it out yet. This LC Smith would just be for fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would appear the OP is living in Canada. A word of caution. The Canadian market noticeably underperforms the US market on vintage gun prices. So asking a primarily American audience about valuations may have turned out okay on this instance but depending on it repeatedly will ultimately having you paying more than OUR market prices.

If one follows the rules of international trade there are significant barriers to moving guns around. The result of that is each country tends to have its own market pricing. Canada is typically 25% to 40% under the US. It’s also confusing to many who don’t deal in it regularly because we use the same name for our currencies but the value of the currencies are often very different. $1800 Cdn is very different than $1800 usd.

While there is no better place to learn about one's gun than this forum, there are much better places to get good advice about value, if you reside outside the US. For Canada, try the sporting shotguns forum on Canadian Gun Nutz.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/13/21 10:01 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: graybeardtmm3
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.