March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, Argo44, Stanton Hillis, Pat Gidley), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Were you able to get it apart?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a similar French guild sxs 16 bore for a few years. I bought it at a small gunshop in Maine for $375. It was a 68 cm barrel 65 mm chamber ic and F gun that had probably been used for grouse. The gun overall was in good condition inside and out with only some deterioration of the nickel plate on the action bar. Weighed 5 pounds 11 ounces. First thing that happen was it began doubling with B&P one ounce loads (2-1/2"). I adjusted the sear and went on for several years, using it to hunt grouse and during dog training. Then it started to fail. It developed a light primer strike on one side. I sent it to a gunsmith and he found a broken main spring/replaced. Next thing that happened was it actually fired when the action closed! Back to the gunsmith. He said the metal used for the sears was very soft and he actually welded new metal tips and reshaped the sears. Back to good operation for a year and then I sold it...I believe this gun was quite old, had a serial number 408...Possibly pre WWI.

Sidelock
Sidelock

18.3 was the exact measured size of the bore, 9” from the standing breech, as measured by the proof house. It is very useful to quickly determine if the original bore size is altered from the dimension the gun passed proof at. Do not sneer at single French proof, it is quite stout. You can use a caliper at the ends of the barrels to ballpark the choke that is left.
The older I get, the less confidence I have in measured choke, one must pattern the gun to see what one has, with the loads you are using. Off the cuff, European guns seem to pattern tighter than they are marked in my world, ammunition differences are the likely culprit.
Good luck with your new to you Gun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

interesting to note that the example on the left lacks the typical solid stop on the left indenture of the lever....that is a feature that i have come to automatically associate with the VC and it's many copies...

best regards,
tom

as per post 590063

Last edited by graybeardtmm3; 01/16/21 05:36 PM.

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome Tallen, I'm on MDS as well and several of us here shoot at the BCC IWLA. Lots of double gun shooters there.....

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Merci infinitivement fab500. -

Been out for a day.. The story of Jean-Pierre Didier is utterly interesting (And that on-line translation is better than mine I must say - though not as fun).

However, the story of Didier-Drevet as presented (In the machine translation) doesn't quite mesh with some advertisements and previous postings. I think actually fab500 is referring to the "Dating early 20th Century French Guns" line. This line dates 1889-1912 French guns based on the dates on Didier-Drevet Eureka Plume barrels. From 1889 to post June 11, 1912, Saint-Etienne guns used cm for chamber length.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=484199&page=12

What we previously assumed about Didier-Drevet and its successors will be analyzed. The machine-translated post will also be re-read. There are members of the family mentioned in the post which need to be looked-at.

Previous texts show Pierre Didier-Drevet retiring in 1900 after his gold medal in Paris. His firm was then bought by his former employees Gerest-Berthon. The barrel-making part of the company, which was supposedly continued separately by a son, is new information.

(You have to be just as careful about French language "authoritative" posts as you do in English)

I bought a Gerest-Berthon 16 gauge SxS chambered for "7 cm" - with a 1906 dated Didier-Drevet barrel - which inspired that investigation.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Love this, but it should be posted as a separate line. Gene

(Jean) Pierre Didier-Drevet

Last edited by Argo44; 01/17/21 10:13 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Larry, actually VC trademarked three names for his top key:

HELICOBLOC
HELISTOP
HELICE-GRIPP

Pretty's sure VC occasionally used "Helice-Grip" as well. Could you please post again that graphic of a VC Key - I seem to have lost it.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

And Lawrence, someday I'd love to come across the river to shoot with you all....not that I'd light up the chart - shooting like crapola these days - but it gets lonely shooting a SxS at Bull Run. (at least people aren't wearing masks out on the range).

Last edited by Argo44; 01/17/21 01:49 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo, I've never shot at Bull Run but last Sunday at BCC IWLA I shot a round of Chinese Trap, the guns being shot were a Woodward Single Barrel Trap Gun, A Fox Single Barrel Trap Gun, a 20 gauge California Duck Club Parker and my Ithaca NID Super 10 double. That's cooler than usual but still BCC is a great club.
If you want to play French, I have two Ideals and a Darne....

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Found it. VC turned the top key screw upside down...then added a lock down the barrel. He made his money on these innovations. "Helice" was never mentioned anywhere in his patents.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.