March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Stanton Hillis, Hammergun, R. Glenz, 2 invisible), 329 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#590128 01/16/21 09:39 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Acquired my first Parker in the same trade deal with the Clement. Want to make this a safe, huntable, gun. Not a prize winning show queen. I have very little money into it as it was part of a trade deal where I wanted to get another gun but this sweetened the pot as I wanted a vintage American SxS eventually. To me, it needs to be put back on face, so it probably needs some hinge pin work. And it needs the stock fixed. Has two old pins in it and the stock has loosened and the original crack has likely expanded. No clue what it would cost to accomplish those two things, but if I could get both successfully down for under $1000 total I think I’d be happy. I’d clean and re-oil the stock on my own. Not worried about a worn grip medallion or a cracked butt plate (but that I might replace depending on cost). Anyway, here are some pics, clickable for larger versions and a few more pics at the linked gallery. What do you think?

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

https://fishrising.smugmug.com/Category/n-jxzHf/Parker/

Last edited by fishrising; 01/16/21 09:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shim the hinge pin with a piece of shim steel and krazy glue the cracks in the stock and shoot as is. Way better than putting 1K into it.

Last edited by Dan S. W.; 01/16/21 10:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

what dan said...plus here is link to source for repro butt plates..a # 2 should work...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-MODEL-2-WITH-TOE-SHOTGUN-BUTT-PLATE/124293535063?hash=item1cf078d557:g:LdIAAOSw3YNXYV2P

and beer cans are a source for shim stock...

Last edited by ed good; 01/16/21 10:42 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

and define off face...if you see daylight between barrels and frame, that is off face...shimming barrel hook should do the trick...

however, some call a loose gun off face...tightening the bite is a fix for that...here is link to classic jack rowe video...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all, I’m going to take it to someone local to mic the barrels, talk to me about getting the action tighter and options for tightening/replacing the stock.  Once I have someone more knowledgeable than give their opinion after seeing the gun I’ll make my decision.  Maybe I’ll tackle the stock.  Something I’ve been wanting to try.  Maybe this is the gun to “try” on.  Maybe this turns into a duck gun, one I don’t have to worry about.  Or maybe I do end up parting it out.  Here is the gap on the action: .012” / .305mm, the .014” / .356mm wouldn’t fit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

read some where long ago, that .004 off face is still ok for safe shooting...

at .012, it sounds like its "miller time", so to speak...

1 member likes this: fishrising
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks to my eyes that you have a early VH-- 18 piece action, no tool steel bolt plate Walter King did the barrel work- std No. 2 frame for a 12 of that era. And the floor plate screws are not "clocked"-- but at least they are not "boogered" and he slots are not marred by using an incorrectly sized turnscrew- Good look- looks like a money pit to me..RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a real honey. Spend a lot on it, you'll be glad you did.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Who tried some amateur engraving on the receiver?

Money pit.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that gun is a great candidate to get your hands dirty. Here is a stock I refinished myself while in process - not great, but a lot better than it was beforehand. I also took that opportunity to put some crazy glue around the head of the stock to avoid future cracking. Give it a shot and see what you can do. Just move slow and be patient. It will be a lot more gratifying as a shooter with some sweat equity.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also, maybe spend about $100 and buy yourself an affordable barrel wall measuring tool.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...uges/wall-thickness-gauge-prod20463.aspx

1 member likes this: fishrising

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.