March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, Dan R, CJF, Gerry Addison, montenegrin, 1 invisible), 348 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Or own 52 guns.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by builder
Or own 52 guns.
All that does is increase the number in the broken pile.

Out there doing it best I can.
rtw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm using a Winchester Model 21. Time will tell how well it will fare.

Sidelock
Sidelock

bss is a popular gun among clays shooters...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

For what you will pay I would buy box locks. In fact I’d buy about ten of them for far less money than one single round action would cost. Shoot until they break and just pickup the next one. But I would also setup a reloaded for 2 1/2” 1 ounce loads and shoot what was intended to be shot in the gun. If I wanted to shoot 7/8 ounce loads I’d get a 20.

For sheer pleasure I’d buy the round action. Tried to buy a 16 ga. Round action, with a skeleton receiver but the price just skyrocketed. I dropped out at 14,000 pounds. It sold for 20,000 pounds plus commissions. I still regret giving up and don’t know if I would have, if it were a 12, instead of a 16. One of only three made so I will most likely never see another one for sale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't focus on the name as much as the gun itself. My irregular clays gun (not shooting much) is a 1904 Tolley that was rebarreled likely in the 30's or 40's. The barrels have 35 thousandths of minimum wall thickness and were made with 2 3/4 chambers. I think I could put upwards of 10K 7/8 oz Fiocchi's through this without any issues. Not much of a game gun with those heavy barrels, but great for clays.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Just my personal experience. My main clays gun for over 25 years was a Greener mid grade gun. It is a 7 3/4 lb. gun. I used one ounce loads and the only failure was the top lever spring. I made a new top lever spring and it's been holding up for about 15 years. I did remove the ejector works as I believe the ejector mechanism was a probable weak point. I can switch the ejector works in or out in about 10 minutes as needed.

I did just recently switch to a heavy barreled Fox. Number one weight barrels and weighing again 7 3/4 lbs. I switched guns just to shoot something different and so far so good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

have arthritic shoulder...

doublegun solution is a custom made 28 ga ithaca classic doubles, with heavy barrels, that weighs eight pounds...

can shoot 25 rounds of one ounce loads, wid out pain...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
Frequency of repair, and cost of repair, aren’t the same thing.

Having ruined more than a dozen basic shooter class shotguns shooting clay sports over the last 25 years, I would say, a decent box lock with longer barrels like maybe a BSS, it’s about as good as you can do.

Myself, I have grown tired of sending guns off to be repaired.

Here in the United States, having a gun re-jointed is many times more expensive than it is in the UK, so, it’s a much bigger deal when your gun starts to get loose.

The browning side-by-side’s, truly are a great shotgun for the clay sports.

Or perhaps Ithaca SKB, if you like something a bit lighter. They're hard to find with 30" barrels, but they did make a Model 100 Magnum with factory recoil pad and 30" barrels. In both cases (Ithaca SKB or BSS), you'll pay a premium for the 30" barrels. Stick with 1 ounce loads at modest velocity (or even 7/8 oz for closer targets) and you can likely put a lot of shells through either without needing to have the gun rejointed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amazing question, two weeks ago I shot a round of clays with my Dickson round action and shot my Purdey yesterday. With that said my go to side by side to shoot is my Garbi Model 100 with 29 1/2" barrels. I agree that if you continually shoot an English Best gun eventually something will break. I have an Atkin spring opener and broke a left cocking spring. Try getting that fixed here in the US. I know of only three places that will undertake that job.
But I had a friend who shot his 1909 Purdey weekly at clays putting at least 100 rounds through it each week. Till he finally broke a spring inside the lock.
Now he just shoots it on special ocasion.

Mike Proctor
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.