March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#590553 01/23/21 11:53 AM
halifax Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone else of that opinion?

My reasons are three fold. One more thing to clean; one more thing to possibly go wrong and more stuff to bring along on a hunt (tubes, wrench, etc.)

I own two guns with tubes and I virtually never change them. I have both guns choked with skeet and IC tubes. The rest of the choke tubes have remained unused.

Now, I am not the world's greatest shot, on either clays or birds, so maybe that is part of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not the greatest shot either, but I like Briley thin walls in the one gun that uses tubes. I don't see any downside actually.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

They seem to be pretty fool proof, if you keep them clean and have a release agent on the threads. I liked the Briley's because I could order an array of useful choke constrictions by my choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Choke tubes have their place.

Not all guns should be choke tubed.

A Beretta 391 with a set of tubes is as near a universal shotgun as can be found.

Ditto a Citori CXS.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

tubes are inappropriate for sxs guns...want that sort of thing, buy an over and under...

plus, new barrels have to be made heavier at the muzzles, so there is enough metal to machine for the damn things...

an then there are the risks when installing after market tubes...sometimes, installing tubes changes point of aim of one or both barrels...in spite of best efforts of skilled installer, it happens...no one seems to know why...

the presence of after market tubes are a detriment to value of old used guns...better to open existing chokes, or acquire second gun, choked the way you like...

one cannot have too many sxs guns...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, you’re seriously the last dude on this entire board that should comment on what’s appropriate or inappropriate on a side by side gun. Your history with that is well documented.

No, I do not hate choke tubes. They definitely have earned their place. In fact they’re probably the next best shotgun related innovation next to choke boring or the recoil pad. They bring a level of versatility and practicality to a single shotgun barrel that the old school and very expensive
alternative of having multiple barrel sets has become somewhat obsolete. Especially for the hunter on a budget that only has a couple of different guns. The versatility is almost limitless. A guy can use his otherwise tightly choked waterfowler to shoot some skeet or other fun clay game...or change choke and shoot a Turkey....or take that same gun dove hunting or grouse hunting.

Choke tubes have proved themselves. They belong & they have their place in the shotgunning world. Whether you like chokes, appreciate what they bring to the table or not , that’s entirely up to you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I put Brileys in the single barrel of my trap gun. A situation where it really showed the advantage: normally I was shooting Arizona and occasionally Florida. Then I took a trip around Colorado, it made a heck of a difference being able to open up the choke in Leadville for the handicap. The full choke I had in the gun shot like a rifle at that altitude.
I have also put Brileys in a model 23 that worked out great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

well le, as of this date, every gun that i have ever offered for sale in the past fifty years or so, has been...sold...or in a few cases, returned to consigner , as over priced...

so there...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by halifax
I hate choke tubes. Anyone else of that opinion?

Hate? Not me. There are things I hate, but they carry much more significance than screw-in choke tubes.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would consider putting them in my 2 3/4 chambered Tolley with thick replacement barrels. The reason is that I mainly intend to shoot this thing like a 686 or Citori though and see how well it holds up over time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.