March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (David Williamson, craigd, ChiefAmungum, bsteele, Dan R, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 332 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,984
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I found it. It's not "Banded" brand. It's an Avery Greenhead Gear - 3 in 1 pole. There's a duck foot attachment for sale on eBay. There's the pole with the paddle on there too, on a separate listing. Very reasonable.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

For my 17' square stern Missourian canoe, I use these items in addition to my
antique 9.5 Johnson outboard.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cab...ole-duck-marsh-foot-attachment?rrec=true

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-northern-flight-telescopic-push-pole?rrec=true

And for emergency backup, I have these in the bottom of the canoe.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redhead-push-pole-paddle-attachment?rrec=true

Last edited by skeettx; 01/23/21 10:58 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those look exactly like mine, Mike.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks looks like what I need. I'll be in Omaha Tuesday and Saturday, either side of bird hunting. Might see if I can get one shipped to the Cabela's store for pick up.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used a cedar pole with a duck bill for 45 years. Stored well and given a bit of oil finish will make them last a long time. Love it for soft marshes and it does eve better on hard ones. I cut down a cedar tree that was growing in a very dense cedar patch so it was very tall without being too thick. In fact Ihad no saw or axe with me and cut it down with a Buck Folding hunter knife. Took awhile. Let it season out then worked it down a bit with a spoke shave. The only way to improve it would be to make it telescope.

I thought about going that direction but was afraid they would not hold up to hard use. Nothing would displease me more than having one fail me when I needed it. The phrase up the creek without a paddle comes to mind. If you used wood version you must get the grain perfect or heavy use would tend to cause it to break easily. Mine has flexed a lot over the years but springs right back without any cracks. You can pole faster than you can row and it takes a lot less effort.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I had a small fishing skiff with a poling platform I used several poles of either fiberglass or graphite composite. The first was a length of fiberglass pole used by linemen to trip powerline jacks. It was fitted with an aluminum tube "Y" end for soft mud and a pointed end for harder shell bottoms. Herter's at one time sold the spring loaded "duck bill" which I mounted on a long wooden rod for poling a smaller skiff for duck and marsh hen hunting. Despite the availability of space age materials used by US guides in expensive lightweight poles, the old guides in Belize use saplings to pole their pangas for bonefish and permit fly rodders. A suitable end for a pole is a slingshot shaped piece of a limb whittled down to fit inside a fiberglass or composite tube with the "y" portion having 5"-6" limbs. Gil
PS here's an assortment of poling duck bills:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...nkw=duck+billed+poling+pole&_sacat=0

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my youth, I used a wooden long handled boat paddle, that my dad made, when poling our 12' jon boat around the shallow swamps and sloughs in the area, in pursuit of bullfrogs! It obviously didn't telegraph, but was satisfactory for the task at hand in the waters I plied for frogs. Of course, it wasn't long enough for use on most rivers and lakes in the area, but worked well in the shallow back waters and adjacent swamps. I used the same set up for poling around while setting out and picking up duck and goose decoys and if the water got too deep, simply used it as a paddle to maneuver around.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, I use unfinished wood curtain rods from home improvement stores. They don't telescope, but you don't need nearly as long a pole as you might think.
A triangular scrap of plywood screwed to the end will keep it from sticking in the mud. In open water I use the pole like a kayak paddle. Cost is within anybody's budget...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 01/24/21 12:52 PM.
1 member likes this: GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avery-Greenhead-Gear-Marsh-Foot-Duck-Bill-Attachment-for-Punt-Boat-Push-Pole/253073887480?hash=item3aec6110f8:g:8ToAAOxyXp5SRZDl

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.