April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, j7l2, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, 1 invisible), 370 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,793
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Per this line, I bought a 16 gauge Reilly SxS side-lever from Gavin in Dec 2018. It arrived in Sep 2019. It turned out to be the matched pair to Terry Buffum's Reilly side-lever sold at Amoskeog in 2017 and bought by a Pakistani dentist in Boston. I've been in contact with the dentist and confirmed that they are indeed a matched pair.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=557199&page=1

Top gun is mine....bottom is former Terry Buffum 16 gauge:
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Here's the problem that has developed. I started having problems with the right ejector. The gunsmith I took it to down below Roanoke showed me where the tip of he spring has eroded from being in contact with the firing pin. He played with it adjusted it but it will not eject and sometimes the ejector gets stuck around the expended shell in the right barrel

You can't find these springs. One can be made but that's questionable. David Trevallion recommend I talk to Abe Chaber who he believes can micro weld it up. I did. Sent him pictures but he doesn't really do internet. Anyway...it shoots beautifully.

Perhaps I'll write Abe a snail mail letter and ask if he can fix it..if so, will send it up. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

“One can be made, but that’s questionable”? I don’t follow. If one was made, it can most definitely be made again. Going to be expensive, but it can be done. Did Gunter not want to take on that particular job or was a new one being made just a little cost prohibitive? The last mainspring I had a made for a self opener cost me $1100. Expensive indeed.
The laser micro welding route can be tricky when it comes to springs. Especially a spring that comes into contact with material harder than itself. There won’t be any guarantee that the repaired bit isn’t going to last. Tony South in Michigan is who I’ve used in the past for laser welding. Del Whitman is a really good gunsmith and he’s also in Michigan and he uses Tony for a lot of precision welding. You could send it to Del and see if he’ll take it on and what the best route is. In my opinion.....he’ll recommend making a new spring.
And FWIW....I don’t think Abe is doing much work these days and if he is....I’m sure he’s extremely picky about what he takes on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does the ejector trip but not eject or just fail to trip?

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ejector trips but fails to eject. I talked to Abe for about 30 minutes about this last fall. I may give him another call.

LeF, Thanks for the info on Tony. Gunter didn't want to take on the project. He said he has made springs in his course in Austria and apprenticeship. He mentioned that they always came out differently and the instructor would choose springs that were similar to match up a pair. He had a spring in his old stock box that might could be made to work with a lot of grinding but he clearly didn't want to do this so I opted not to try.

The gun shoots beautifully...I generally prefer extractors on a SxS so it's not all that disconcerting except for the ejector occasionally getting stuck around the expended shell. I'll take a picture of that next time it happens.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a timing issue,probably tripping too soon and case hits top of breech.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has to do with the spring and ejector tumbler not going over center at the proper time look at the working one and see where it goes over center also compare to each other in the back and forward position.i repaired a AYA with a Southgate ejector that had a warn tumbler

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
“One can be made, but that’s questionable”? I don’t follow. If one was made, it can most definitely be made again. Going to be expensive, but it can be done. Did Gunter not want to take on that particular job or was a new one being made just a little cost prohibitive? The last mainspring I had a made for a self opener cost me $1100. Expensive indeed.
The laser micro welding route can be tricky when it comes to springs. Especially a spring that comes into contact with material harder than itself. There won’t be any guarantee that the repaired bit isn’t going to last. Tony South in Michigan is who I’ve used in the past for laser welding. Del Whitman is a really good gunsmith and he’s also in Michigan and he uses Tony for a lot of precision welding. You could send it to Del and see if he’ll take it on and what the best route is. In my opinion.....he’ll recommend making a new spring.
And FWIW....I don’t think Abe is doing much work these days and if he is....I’m sure he’s extremely picky about what he takes on.
The only "questionable" part is is the gun worth spending that kind of money on....A tarted up whore can only get you so far.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

And homelessJoe is the expert on tarted up whores

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Originally Posted by LeFusil
The only "questionable" part is is the gun worth spending that kind of money on....A tarted up whore can only get you so far.

So, Frank, since you know so much about tarted up whores, tell us exactly how far they get you, specifically.

When was the last time you actually posted anything relevant, helpful, or intelligent? (Note this is an "or" question, not an "and" question. We know you have never accomplished the trifecta).

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would repair it if I owned it

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.