March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

My recollection is that L.E. Wilson was a dedicated bench rest shooter and competitor.I have the impression that his interest in bench rest shooting is what led him into the presicion loading business. I also have the impression that hs was first involved in precision machine tool work and that his interest in the ultimate in rifle accuracy led him to build his own rifles and loading equipment, and the latter became not only his hobby but his livlihood. How whatever gunsmithing he did for others fits in to that equation I am uninformed about, but I would think that it took place largely in the 1950's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To update the preceding post, I went to my collection of American Rifleman magazines from the 30's and 40's and found an article where the writer described having his Model 70 Winchester .220 Swift rebarreled by Winchester and then sent by them to L.E. Wilson for conversion to the Wilson Arrow. This was in July of 1943, so L.E. was active as a gunsmith much earlier than I realized.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by xausa
To update the preceding post, I went to my collection of American Rifleman magazines from the 30's and 40's and found an article where the writer described having his Model 70 Winchester .220 Swift rebarreled by Winchester and then sent by them to L.E. Wilson for conversion to the Wilson Arrow. This was in July of 1943, so L.E. was active as a gunsmith much earlier than I realized.

Now you've done it....
I have a collection of American Rifleman from the late '20s into the '60s. Many years ago I used to scan and post article here.

Never unpacked them after our last move as my wife and daughters didn't like the strong musty smell. But now may be the time to actually do so.
Did you note the month and year of any others articles?

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

LE Wilson is pretty well known here in the Pacific NW where he lived. His shop was in Cashmere, Wa. (home of Aplets and Cotlets!) and his shooting, and tool making started before or at the same time as his gunsmithing work. I've always guessed his tool sales alone weren't maybe enough to make a living, so gunsmithing for others was part of his business.

Here's a little history from the company:

https://lewilson.com/about

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if the company could provide any information about the rifle?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Finally showed up today.

Herters stock.
FN action is dated 1950
Barrel is dated(?) 3-52

No other markings, but that is enough information to nail down the timeframe.

I am going try and reach out to the L.E. Wilson company and see if they have any records and if so, if they will share information. (Great idea!)

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Since the company is still family owned, I hope there's someone from the family who can assist you in some info.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Vall
Since the company is still family owned, I hope there's someone from the family who can assist you in some info.
Polite brush off from L.E. Wilson customer service.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Utah Shotgunner
Originally Posted by Vall
Polite brush off from L.E. Wilson customer service.

Too bad. Another case of "customer no service".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.