April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (fab500, WBLDon, Karl Graebner, eeb, 2 invisible), 795 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#591312 02/02/21 08:50 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Who hunts/shoots with a Remington 1894? Mine is a B grade with damascus barrels. Barrels have been checked out and are in good shape. What loads would you recommend? Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do.

I just bought a case of cartridges from RST, (usually 1 ounce number fives for a pheasant) and I go hunting with it it.
There are so many Remington’s with a crack across the top strap, the I see no reason to pound them.

Kill plenty of birds with that combination.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Remington 1894/1900 are well known for cracks in the head of the stock. A search here will show how a metal staple and epoxy glass bedding repairs the area. Remington share well made. I shoot 1 1/8 ounce loads in mine but keep the pressure down to about 8,000 psi to minimize stock stress. That is a fairly easy to find reloading listing assuming you can reload. Otherwise RST work well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A very good friend owns two 94’s. Both of them are in excellent mechanical and aesthetic shape. No cracks. No stock issues. Like any boxlock or sidelock...be sure to periodically check the tightness of the hand pin and breech pin. Those two pins being tight is crucial to stock longevity. Sometimes, even with those pins tight...stocks can develop cracks. Numerous reasons. Poor fitting from the factory to include this final shaping of the top tang and if applicable side plates, poor stock design or action design, etc.
Most 1894’s that you’ll encounter fall into the “heavy use” category. Some are down right beat up. I can only imagine that these old workhorses were fed anything and everything from home grown bp loads to the heaviest smokeless loads used at the time not to mention heavy high brass loads popular in modern times.
I’m not quite sure how she’ll pressure adds into the equation of stock longevity. There’s some pretty high pressure mild recoiling loads out there that would have zero detrimental effect on the stock. The action....now that’s a different story.
Ive used for years an extremely low pressure load using 800x, federal gold medal and 1 1/8 Oz of shot. Somewhere in the 4500 psi range. Low recoiling it is not. I found it to be easy on the action and barrels, but pretty brutal for an old stock to take.
Something to think about.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I certainly don't see that Remington Hammerless Doubles have cracked stocks at any higher rate than any other American boxlocks -- Parker Bros., Ithaca, A.H. Fox. No where near the rate of cracked stocks as L.C. Smiths. Keep in mind the Remington Hammerless Doubles are all 111 to 127 years old. For fifty years Father always carried a #7 1/2 trap load in his right barrel and a Remington Express or Western Super-X #5 or #6 in the left of his 1896 vintage AE-Grade when after Pheasants.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to own a Model 1894 BE Grade 12-bore and a very high-conditioned Model 1900 16-bore ejector, both with Damascus barrels. I carried them many miles chasing beagle packs back in the day; both were solid inside and out and I considered them both to be very well made guns. Don't remember the loads used in the 16-bore, but they would have been hand-loads kept under 8000psi. In the 12-bore (a first year production 28" gun) I used Gamebore 2" shells loaded with 11/16 ounce of #6 shot; and I did so because I found them very effective in the tight cover being hunted, they patterned well, and primarily because they were light and compact. I've no idea as to the pressures of those Gamebore shells and didn't care. But carrying those little cartridges was equivalent to carrying .410 shells, which made a huge difference when kicking thick brush; and even more so after putting a few bunnies in the old game bag. My only complaint with either gun was that the squared edges of the larger 12-bore frame made the gun less comfortable to carry in comparison to some of the other period double guns I used.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 1894 BE I restocked a couple years ago. Big, thick walled Damascus barrels in excellent condition. I mostly use it at the range. But I really like it and if I got out hunting ducks more often I’d hunt with it more.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.