September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (PMcFall, ChiefAmungum, Joe Wood, Run With The Fox, 2 invisible), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics36,116
Posts507,463
Members14,078
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Howdy, Mr. Tut (retired Fed, hey?) Thanks for your service- am going to both a local gun show this coming week-end, also an outdoor and Hunting show in the same general vicinity. If you would like, I'd be happy to "bird-dog" anything in the 20 gauge A.H. Fox (Phila mfg.) I might see, and get to check out- Would like to know a few basi cs, if you would oblige me. Barrel weight stamp and length, chokes and chamber lengths as well. DT? or Kautsky or other SST- ejectors or extractors. PG style and Butt-pad or bakelite plate. Dims- LOP from frnot trigger, etc. OAL condition: cracks, if any, wood finish. blueing and % of casehardening-estimated.. Maybe I can assist in your search- and yes, foxes do rule- RWTF

Well thanks much. I've come across a hard to find graded 20 gauge Philly Fox (s/n circa 202000) with Kautsky trigger that unfortunately has trashed barrels. I want to bring her back as she was and that as she was included 28" barrels. Since I have the original barrels, we can pull the lug off of that set of barrels and after removing the lug on the Sterly barrels we can fit that lug, then micro-tig weld the lettering and reengrave etc etc. I've looked into a set of in the white Fox barrels and frankly there is just too much work there (circa $2,500 counting labor) to get in that deep and also fund the restocking, engraving chasing etc etc.

3 weight barrels are preferred. One of the problems with the original gun was it had 4 weight barrels and those turned into .018 and .020 Minimum wall thickness about 8" from the breech and that's too thin. 3 Weight would give a bit more steel to work with. I'd prefer short chambers if possible.

PS. I've stumbled onto quite a few donor 20 gauge Sterly's with 26" barrels, but 28" has eluded me so far. Did almost buy a Sterly at an internet auction last week, but the auction house had no idea on anything regarding chamber length, chokes, bore condition etc etc and I decided it wasn't worth the risk on an "As Is" situation.

Double PS. I could certainly buy a nicer 20 gauge Sterly with 28" barrels as there are a few out there, but I dont' have much desire to buy a gun with 50 percent case colors etc just to poach the barrels. This would be the first chance I've ever had to obtain a graded small bore fox with the Kautsky trigger and that's a big deal to me as there just aren't that many out there and I've always wanted one for late season bird hunting when a single trigger helps when wearing gloves.

Once again appreciate you keeping an eye out for me. Regards, Tom

Last edited by tut; 03/03/21 03:58 PM.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

or, have your barrels sleeved? i just happen to have a pair of lc smith 20 ga blanks left over from the marlin days...or maybe just sell me your fox and i will go shopping for a sleever, which are hard to find these days...pm me if you wish to talk deal...ed

the selling season is here...selective consignments accepted...pm for terms...
Sidelock
Online Happy
Sidelock

OK- that's enough basic data to get me going. I have only one double with a SST--my Dad's M21 12 gauge built 1939-also has ej. field gun, and since Dad gave it to me in 1980, I have never changed the selector- right barrel fires first, second pull trips the left--I have never seen a A.H. Fox with the Kautsky SST--a few L.C. Smiths and Parkers. I like your comment about micro-TIG welding, that's a skill set I still posses- we (son-in-law and I) have a Miller Gold Star 300 amp. TIG/SMAW with Linde Torches (water cooled) and it generates good retirement income, area farmers and all the irrigation they use--I love to weld with TIG-aluminum pipe is easy to weld, once you know a few tricks-have never tried Micro on firearms, as you described in the barrel-swapping scenario. I will let you what, if anything, I might come across Sat-and give you the proper contact data so that you may take it from there- sounds like a interesting project indeed. RWTF

When The Man In Black Comes Around- Rev: 6-8
1 member likes this: tut
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
or, have your barrels sleeved? i just happen to have a pair of lc smith 20 ga blanks left over from the marlin days...or maybe just sell me your fox and i will go shopping for a sleever, which are hard to find these days...pm me if you wish to talk deal...ed

Thanks Ed. Don't want to go the sleeving route and I'm hanging onto this one for now. PS. Did send you a response via pm on your other question.

foxes rule
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2021 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.