March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (PALUNC, Karl Graebner, Jtplumb, Caravaggio), 300 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After the invasion of the Low Countries by the Catholic King Philip II of Spain in 1567, and the August 29, 1572 St. Bartholomew's Day massacre (Massacre de la Saint-Barthélemy) of French Calvinist Huguenots, there was a Walloon (Belgium) and Huguenot (France) migration to Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, South Africa, Germany, Ireland, Scotland, England, West Indies, South and North America, bringing with them Reform theology, and expertise in medicine, iron working and gun making, and textiles. The Huguenots were the intellectuals of France.
In 1600 400 Huguenot and Walloon mercenaries went to work for the Sultan.
In 1624 30 families, mostly Walloons and led by Josse de Forest, arrives in Terra Nova Belgica (New York) and settle New Avesnes (Manhattan) and the Hudson and Delaware Valleys. They wore silver half moons inscribed “Better Turk than Pope” from the statement by the Patriarch of Constantinople “Rather the turban of the Turk than the tiara of the pope.”
From 1661-1700 Walloons and Huguenots settle on the Binne Kill of the Mohawk River, establish Schenectady, Batavia (“better land”), New Rupella (Rochelle), New Paltz in the Walkill valley, Fort Orange (the future site of Albany), and in Connecticut, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and to South Carolina.
Irénée du Pont was Huguenot, as were the Roosevelts. Delano was Walloon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the same thought as Argo about the gold robed guy: Mace w/chained ball.

1453 . . . part of Europe was still busy sorting out their own "ethnic cleansing" issues. The Hundred Years' War between England and France was just coming to a close, the French having succeeded in driving the English out, and conquering those parts of France from which the Plantagenets launched their successful invasion of England in 1066.

Re Huguenots, quite a few of them also ended up in South Africa. They obviously spread far and wide. But when a Protestant became king of France, he converted--with the simple statement: "Paris is worth a mass."

Last edited by L. Brown; 02/27/21 08:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the most fascinating thread, thank you all for posting! Having flunked history with a capital 'F', I now find it fascinating in my later years. And no current politics, RESULT!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby, for pleasure and knowledge could I suggest you obtain these four slim volumes - they are all you'll need to know about history. The format is very simple. A Map on one page and a tightly edited (and humorous) text on the other. They are utterly brilliant, amazingly simple and Mr. McEvedy was a genius. I bought a set for each of my kids 30 years ago and have used them extensively since the 1980's. Plus they are just plain fun and really do explain linguistic variants of the caucasian languages, the pressures on the German tribes along the Rhine dealing with the Romans, etc. I carry the set when I go abroad (and when in Africa add the Penguin Atlas of African History (banned in South Africa because it shows the Zulus arriving after the Dutch.)

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

You can buy them used for as low as $ 1.00 a book...and they are so easy to understand and so enjoyable that they are worth 1000 times that. Why isn't history taught like this?

Last edited by Argo44; 02/27/21 10:57 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks. I can't imagine the tribal battles required to develop all that technology!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunlover re Russo-Turk war of 1877. Not to mention the fact that there were Confederate generals advising the Turks at the time including outfitting them with Winchesters.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by Argo44; 02/27/21 11:13 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Ottoman Empire created many great libraries.
Their method of governing conquered lands was subject to great abuse by appointed Pasha's, and led at times, to starvation of their subjects.
The Ottoman Empire was in serious decline by the mid- nineteenth century. Having failed to modernize, they had to import military technology and expertise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing I know for sure about Turkish gun making....I'll never buy a Turkish made gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
When you enlarge the picture the redhead in the gold robe appears to be holding something on the order of a set of nunchucks, a martial arts weapon, but with a longer chain. I have no idea that's what it is, but it sure looks like it. He's holding one of the handles in his right hand.

You still toting your switch blade to church to protect the congregation....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
Up in Nepal in the 1980's I got familiar with Buddhist chants, used to empty the mind and make life more bearable.

It would appear that your exercise to empty your mind was a rousing success Argo44. Congratulations!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.