March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#593047 02/27/21 06:32 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is off the subject of guns though I would like to hand on this information before I take my leave.
For most of my working career there was always one perennial problem and headache. especially in the field of re-refurbishment and repair what was Paint colour? I have no idea why it took so long to come up with the cure but it did seem a veritable age to come across what I would say a cure the "Pan tone" catalog of colour as in the photographs. To purchase the item new it can be expensive though second user ones can be found on web sites such as eBay at very reasonable cost. The one thing I have found is that the names of colors can be changed by paint manufacturers but the actual colour does not change so an older version will do just fine. I have found the formula guide to be the one I most used because it gives the colour constituent and percentage mix for the swatch colour, the process colour swatch contains production colour's used in manufactured products. If all else fails it will give you the Pantone reference number to have the paint mixed for you, on this side of the pond there are now a lot of small companies that will do that for you and supply small amounts of paint in tins for brush use and rattle cans though is is usually Acrylic type.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank-you,
Please reconsider your departure.

Out there doing it best I can.
1 member likes this: LGF
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pantone color guides have been standard issue in the print shops I’ve worked in for the last 40 years. They are typically thrown away in 12 month intervals, as the color chips do change with time.
I am always happier with a refinish to a car, or, piece of equipment, when I repaint the whole thing. Matching an old color, with new, is more art than science, from what I have seen.
I’ve shot a bunch of paint with an old Binks #7, it is obsolete for newer materials, mostly due to the cost of the stuff, but, for an occasional small project (I’ll paint a 1941 Colson Scout when it warms up a bit) it is entirely adequate.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I am a commercial printer and Pantone or PMS is our industry standard. In addition to the books you have there are also books for neons and metallics. There is another matching system out there called Toyo but it is obscure and weird. I am pretty sure we don't have Toyo books but can get the ink if some crazy designer specs it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting topic. Here is my latest blended paint effort on the lower half of my Isuzu Trooper's left rear door. The paint on the right half of the door is original and I was pretty able to successfully blend the left half with a rattle can. Will need to attempt a 2K clear finish, which I am not confident will turn out, but not sure I care given that the whole vehicle could use a respray. Just can't stand fully mismatched panels on even a beater fishing vehicle.

The difference between the front and rear door is an optical illusion created by the lack of clear - the match is actually shockingly spot on. Amazing what you can order these days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found the new digital colormatch devices to be amazing.
Perhaps the new generation of auto paints (some water based) has helped in some way.

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just curious about your leave, but are you about to shuffle off the mortal coil or just forsake this website?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ellenbr I am not siting in life's departure lounge waiting for the next shuttle just yet. Ten years ago I was diagnosed with "age related Macular degeneration" and over the proceeding years my center vision has become more distorted. Things are starting to get to the point that using just my peripheral vision to read and type is becoming more difficult also it is much harder to see my mistakes plus the word processor is not so good at finding all spelling errors. So before I started to come over sounding like the Village idiot I decided to bow out when things get to bad. I will still be with you all but only write something now and again though I have just taken delivery of a large key keyboard to help me with you all for a little more time.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
1 member likes this: craigd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tough news & a tough lot in life indeed but great to hear you are creating novel ways to add to the discussion. For sure we will forgive any misspellings & the like.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus:

I am very sorry to read about you vision issues. I do hope that the new keyboard helps and that you will be with us for many more years.

You are, and have been, a wealth of knowledge for us all. I remember the first time that I read one of your posts was on the old "Internet Gun Club" site, around 2006, or so. That site was a great resource and it had so many knowledgeable and talented members.

All best,

Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.