March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (RWG, Longknife, Der Ami, jcn, ksauers1, Jtplumb), 824 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sorry to hear about your vision problems...tough to get older! Although not a frequent poster, I do read the various topics that interest me and I've always enjoyed your posts, Damascus, for the knowledge passed on.

My grandma, who lived on a hill above our house a distance away, was diagnosed with macular degeneration, complained often about her failing eyesight, but I swear, she knew everything that was going on at our house at all times, when I was a kid!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whoa, whoa, whoa, all is not lost.

I am confident that the members/techno wizard‘s here can come up with a way for you to have a magnified screen, ala the one that Bill Wise used.

We had a fundraiser maybe 20 years ago to get him state of the art equipment so that he could continue to contribute, I believe that once your tech needs are identified, we will step up. At least I will.

What would make it easier for you?

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

So very sorry to hear about your condition, and how it will impact your free time and hobbies. Due to a severe eye injury, I have been slowly learning to shoot from the other shoulder, but, I don’t have much success to report in the undoing of fifty years of muscle memory and experience.
But, I can still shoot. Until the next age related villain comes to visit, at any rate.
I wish you all the best with the challenge set before you.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ernie, I remember you telling us about your vision problems a couple years ago. Very sorry to hear that it is getting worse. I hope you and your doctor will be able to treat it and that you will still be able to share your talents and experience with us for a long time to come.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I really do not know what to say you folks have really put me on the back foot with all of your kindness. Now I will say that I can still give those fast moving clay's a hard time when I do eventually break a few, and I remind myself that at my age it is like fishing you do not expect to catch them all. I have good peripheral vision so the world does look like it always did, it only starts to have a mind of its own when I try to look close up at small items also news print and monitors though I do have a news print reading aid for books etc. Though between ourselves full stops comers and other small punctuation marks are now starting to slip past me unnoticed with the odd spelling faux pas. I will do that thing politicians hate to do a "U" turn and keep with you all until it becomes really impossible for me. Thank you all once again for all that you have said, that sort of thing never happens to me only other people, So what I would finally like to say is lets put my problem at the back of the shelf out of sight and out of mind for the foreseeable future and I will continue to take the Medication.

Thank you all Ernie.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, Please stay with us, you a re a valuable resource. I am on the board of a nonprofit and they operate a low-vision clinic. I have seen firsthand what wonderful visual assistance devices are available for the vision impaired and hope that you can seek out such a clinic for some technological assistance.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

A sometime poster here, Robert Chambers, has been dealing with failing eyesight as well and took delivery of some kind of magnifying device to use with computer screens. Perhaps like the one mentioned that Bill Wise used. I haven’t spoken to him since last summer to see how it’s working but I could.

Damascus, I’ve very much enjoyed your posts here. It will be a lesser place without your knowledge.

Last edited by canvasback; 03/01/21 09:27 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ernie, I posted a reply yesterday hoping that you would choose to remain here with us as long as possible. But for some odd reason, my post did not show up in this thread.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you have reconsidered your early departure, because the information you provide to us is always appreciated and typically very good. Your actual experience with gun repair always comes shining through, which is not the case with those who are merely adept at copy-and-pasting what they read elsewhere.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had co- workers and friends who have coped with macular degeneration. The co-worker used a magnifying program to aid his work as a shipper/receiver.
Friends have had eye injections to slow the process.
All I can add, is to wish you the very best of treatment and vision aids.
I respect your contribution to our interest in vintage shotguns.

Last edited by Saskbooknut; 03/01/21 08:39 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.