March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am getting ready to order a 10 pound bag of copper plated #6’s. I started reading about how nickel plated lead shot holds better patterns and penetrates feathers better. Can I safely shoot nickel plated lead in my Damascus barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes. The nickel plating is too thin to damage the barrels. Not sure if it's even available.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, I found some ballistic products #6’s. I never tried nickel plated for turkeys before...always copper plated. I’ve been reading nickel plated lead shoots a little tigger groups as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly.

The hardness of the pellets is only very slightly greater than with good magnum lead shot.

Plating acts like a lubricant to penetrate feathers (at least that's the theory).

Given the choice between unknown quality plated lead and known 4 to 6 percent Antimony shot, I'll take the known hard shot.

Think Lawrence or West Coast.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am set on #6’s. I have found both eagle and Lawrence copper plated. I have found nickel plated #6’s in ballistic products. Any suggestions between the three?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes. Skip the Eagle.

Eagle runs under size and has nowhere near the hardness of Lawrence.

I have used the BPI nickel in #5 for years on pheasant in 12 and 20 gauge with very good results.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks I ordered the BPI copper, and then, nickel plated #6’s. I did enough forum readings saying it patterned tighter groups than copper plated lead shot and penetrated further. I figured it might help tighten groups a little bit better. I tried some RST #5’s so far. I put 17 hits on my turkey target neck at yards. I do have a box of RST number #6 1 1/4 oz loads to try yet but figured I’d get started on reloading with my lee loader. Any load suggestions? I have black powder FG, FFG, FFFG, and Pyrodex. I also have 700x, green dot, red dot, and unique. It’s next to impossible to find Damascus black powder equivalent 2 7/8” loads anywhere. I’d like to stuff as many #6’s into my shell as safely possible. Any load data help would be greatly appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I load the Ballistic Products nickel plated shot (and it's true nickel plating not just a very thin wash) in my "super-duper" 3/4 oz. load for my .410 dove guns. High quality stuff.

Good luck with the turkey loads.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why on earth would you concern yourself with penetrating feathers on a turkey??

Turkeys are taken with head shots. Place your bead on the upper neck just below the head and fire away.

You'll smash head and neck bones with athority and never have to worry about penetrating feathers at all.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shoot at enough turkeys and one will eventually find a pellet or two in the body. Even the tightest of patterns will have flyers and spread. Gil

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.