March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, Woodreaux), 206 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,406
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think its a great gun!! I'm with gjw on this. Click on the Link, read the whole advert and specs and think it through. Ordered in 1999/early 2000 by someone who had some clear objectives and a substantial Financial wherewithal.
Imagine if you will a 60-ish successful Stockbroker looking to retire and enjoy the next 20 years pursuing his sporting dreams in the upland bird field. 30" bbls with improved mod and full for high volume Argentine dove hunts , followed by walked up perdiz in the afternoon (28" IC/M). Decoying Ducks in the Evening.bbls,chokes and heavy 2&3/4" loads to suit. On the plane, back to UK in time for driven grouse opener,followed by a few days walked up grouse. Later High Pheasants in Devon or Wales, Pigeon over decoys, walked up Mixed Bag. To my way of thinking its about as an all round game gun for someone in their advancing years as you could specify. The chokes were most likely installed at time of manufacture and proofing (superior level) to order.For Purdey to offer sell it, it must be in excellent condition and the 15&1/4" LOP make it usable by just about anyone.Now if only I had the 132000USD and the rest to lead that lifestyle I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. As it is I've got to go out and finish painting the car before the roller dries out.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hugh and gjw have it spot on. The old diatribe on choke tubes in fine guns is straight up trash. Now......if we’re talking about this Purdey with Colonial or Winchokes installed, that’s a different story :-). Brileys & Teagues are in a class of their own, and if installed correctly, make the gun extremely versatile and increases the enjoyment of using the gun for whatever purpose you want...and if your paying 93k pounds for a gun, I can imagine that you’d want to use it a lot. At least, I hope that it would get used a lot.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good points all, clearly I have to start rethinking this.

Would Purdey have brought the gun to Teague for tube installation before delivery to the customer?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

RR. Almost certainly done when the gun was in the white. If done after Proof it would require re-proofing.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Hugh Lomas
RR. Almost certainly done when the gun was in the white. If done after Proof it would require re-proofing.

Good point, and the facts of whether the Teague chokes were installed during production, or were an after-market addition will make a huge difference in the present value... like them or not.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good friend, now departed, wanted screw ins in his brand new Purdey O/U 16 bore. Purdey’s had to convince Teague to create their 16 gauge tubes as they’d never made them, but they did and he enjoyed the gun to his death. When sold afterwards, the value didn’t seem to be impacted at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Usually the muzzle walls are too thin for practical choke tubes. But, hey man, the customer gets what he wants. If he wanted a more versatile gun via choke tubes I'm sure the good folks at Purdey would supply barrels with enough meat (wall thickness) at the muzzle to support tubes. After all, you aren't supposed to be concerned with the resale value of your gun for the next two or three generations.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a guy that I use to do a little business with. He took a Purdey that he had, went to the barn, put in a vise and cut the stock down to 13" for his kid. I also know for a fact that his net worth is over 100 million.

Do think he really cares?

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by arrieta2
I have a guy that I use to do a little business with. He took a Purdey that he had, went to the barn, put in a vise and cut the stock down to 13" for his kid. I also know for a fact that his net worth is over 100 million.

Do think he really cares?

John Boyd
Was it a padded vise? Gil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.