March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, FelixD, Dan R, CJF, Gerry Addison, 1 invisible), 363 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Elimination of career bureaucrats through mandatory term limits,

California has had mandatory term limits for most state and many local offices for a long time and it is a complete cluster [censored]. Just rotates these fools through a series of offices that they are not qualified for, and by the time their bad decisions can catch up with them, they have moved on to another office where they can implement a new set of bad decisions. Many here believe that the term limits, combined with the jungle primaries, have led this state to the somewhat invincible Dem super majority that currently exists. How's that working out?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’d have to guess that bad election law, in the form of ranked choice primaries, which have led to no Republicans being on the ballet, has had a dramatic effect on California. Also, California is clearly missing any notion of a balanced budget being a requirement.

You need to have a serious look at your election law. Voter ID and some sort of accountability to local politicians seems to be long overdue, everywhere, but, especially in California.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

California is clearly missing any notion of a balanced budget being a requirement.

Not a requirement, but no one in gooberment cares because they are taxing us to death. Example: As bad as 2020 was for the economy (mostly because of the pandemic), CA still wound up with a budget surplus of about $19 billion. And that is after the state agencies pissed away something on the order of $31 billion on fraudulent unemployment compensation payments to prison inmates, illegals, dead people, out-of-state residents, and foreigners. State government and most of the state agencies are completely inept, run by thieves and whores (see Gavin Newsom and his Dem minions). And what do they want to do? Increase taxes again. In the most highly taxed state in the nation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Replacement
California is clearly missing any notion of a balanced budget being a requirement.

Not a requirement, but no one in gooberment cares because they are taxing us to death. Example: As bad as 2020 was for the economy (mostly because of the pandemic), CA still wound up with a budget surplus of about $19 billion. And that is after the state agencies pissed away something on the order of $31 billion on fraudulent unemployment compensation payments to prison inmates, illegals, dead people, out-of-state residents, and foreigners. State government and most of the state agencies are completely inept, run by thieves and whores (see Gavin Newsom and his Dem minions). And what do they want to do? Increase taxes again. In the most highly taxed state in the nation.

Is State tax still counted as a deduction from Federal Income Tax? Weren't New York and California both running up their State Tax bills to keep their money in State rather than have the resident's tax money used by the federal government?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Replacement

If you are truly dealing with that level of idiocy, (you’ll get no argument from me) might be time to pull up stakes and try it somewhere else.

I have no illusions of trying to live in Minnesota after we are retired. It is corrupt as hell. I have a job here, but, that won’t be forever. My Dad left the east coast to escape the same nonsense, and before he died, he was worried it was time to move, again.

He was right. He just moved on without the moving van, so to speak.

Best,
Ted

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as I know California has unfunded mandates far exceeding the tax windfall.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as I know California has unfunded mandates far exceeding the tax windfall.

True, but those "unfunded mandates" are mostly related to public employee pension obligations. The unfunded portion can be excluded from the annual state budgets because because the CalPERS (govt ees) and CalSTRS (teachers) systems have been using wildly optimistic assumptions for their expected investment performance. This all harkens back to the early-mid 90's when the economy was booming and investment performance was strong. Some govt agencies started enriching their defined benefit pension plans to attract employees, and once a few agencies did that, most of the others followed so that they could remain competitive. Pension obligations grew like Topsy, to the point that employee contributions and investment performance could no longer support the actuarial obligations. Add in the optimistic investment projections. Combine that with increased lifespans. Add in in all the money that the state govt pisses away on problems of its own making (illegals, homeless, foolish energy policy, fraud, suing the federal govt, etc.), and the result is that the taxpayers are getting royally screwed. This state's government is beyond incompetent and inept. It is criminally negligent.

1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is State tax still counted as a deduction from Federal Income Tax?

Yes, but it is limited to $10K per year for those who itemize. State income tax maxes out at 12.3%. Sales tax in many counties is now at 10.25% (some higher, a few lower). Property taxes are moderate from a rate standpoint (about 1.25%), but they are based on the sales price of the property and CA housing prices are extremely high. As an example, average selling price in my ZIP code is about $1.4mil. That buys about 2300 square feet on a small lot. And your property taxes the first year would be $17,500, far in excess of the federal deduction limit, even before you factor in the state income tax and the sales tax. Gas taxes are the highest in the country. Auto and boat registrations (a value-based tax on personal property) are among the highest in the country, and were increased by the legislature by $5 billion a few years ago. In my city, we pay local taxes on our utilities (telephone, cell phone, cable TV, gas, electricity, water, sewer), on top of the various state and other taxes and assessment on these services. As Everett Dirksen once said, "A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you're talking real money." Other than weather, topography, and natural resources, California sucks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will not comply, and that is not a political statement. My own sheriff already said the same thing, too, so i feel like I am in good company. The sooner this illegal legislation becomes law, the sooner America can have that great cleansing and "reset" so many have yearned for. And I am talking about the re-set to 1787.

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by pamtnman
I will not comply, and that is not a political statement. My own sheriff already said the same thing, too, so i feel like I am in good company. The sooner this illegal legislation becomes law, the sooner America can have that great cleansing and "reset" so many have yearned for. And I am talking about the re-set to 1787.

This may come as a surprise to many .......... whatever. My sheriff is a fine, black man who I trust and respect. i count him as a friend. He is in his second term. I supported him in both campaigns and elections, and still do. He has been interviewed on national news because of his stand on the shooting at the Wendy's in Atlanta. I have no doubt that he would have my back if, and when, I must defy federal law to surrender any of my firearms. I will quote you, pamtnman, "I will not comply". I agree 110 %.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.