April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (Chad Linder, Jimmy W, Gunning Bird, 4 invisible), 462 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,098
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I SHOT ONE OF MY HAMMER GUNS (A THOS. JACKSON LONDON UNDERLEVER) YESTERDAY AT SKEET; EVERY PRIMER WAS PIERCED BY THE FIRING PINS--BOTH BARRELS. AND THEY HUNG UP WHEN OPENING/ AND SOMETIMES CLOSING THE GUN. SO I FINISHED THE ROUND AND WHEN I GOT HOME, I REMOVED THE NIPPLES AND STRIKERS, CLEANED BOTH AND REPLACED THE SPRINGS (WHICH WERE ALMOST TOTALLY HOSED).
WITHOUT SHORTENING THE STRIKERS, I'M SURE THEY WILL STILL PUNCTURE THE PRIMERS. SO, ONE QUESTION: REMOVE MATERIAL FROM THE FRONT OR BACK END?

SECOND QUESTION: WHEN MAKING NEW STRIKERS, I THINK I WOULD USE SOMETHING LIKE 1080 OR 0-1 AND HARDEN ONLY THE FRONT END (TO MITIGATE DAMAGE TO THE HAMMERS)? OR BOTH ENDS?

THIRD QUESTION: WOULD THE INTERNAL PART (LARGER DIAMETER THAN THE TWO ENDS--TO LIMIT ITS TRAVEL) BE SEPARATELY MADE AND THEN TIGGED ONTO THE STRIKER OR SHOULD THEY ALL BE TURNED FROM THE SAME PIECE OF ROUNDSTOCK?
THANKS! GIL

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, make new springs for the strikers. I’ve used ball point springs cut to length. You might make them a little long at first and see how far the pins extend through when fully compressed. Last thing I’d do is shorten them—can’t put metal back on.

I recently made a new striker for my Scott and remembered someone on this board years ago suggesting using grade 8 bolts (found at hardware store) to turn down and not hardening. This is what I did and so far all is ok.

I am NOT a gunsmith so interested in other’s opinions.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
I agree with Joe about not shortening the firing pins. A late gunsmith friend told me many years ago that gun parts never get larger by wear...You might benefit by polishing any rough areas off the point, it should be round and smooth. I found from experience that it is folly to dimension firing pins so they stop hard by the receiver with the correct amount of protrusion. If it is not stopped by the primer, too much inertia is robbed by the receiver stopping it. As far as hardening, there are some steels that don't require it; but when required I try to harden so the front is spring hard and the rear chisel hard( to prevent mushrooming). You have to carefully watch the color run from the thick rear part to the smaller point, when "drawing" it. In other words so the point is blue and the rear is still "straw". Also, the strikers must not be too much smaller than the hole.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 03/26/21 04:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is impossible to be definitive without seeing the item up close and personal but I suspect these are replacement strikers, perhaps even cannibalised from another gun, but definitely too long. If you depress the hammer fully onto the nipple, the striker should only protrude about 1.5mm from the breech face. If more than that it probably will pierce primers (providing the main springs are still sound) and very well may hang-up.
I would reduce the length at the primer end as there is obviously plenty of room to do so but you must make sure that the springs are not being crushed in their holes. It is this that tends to do for springs: if they aren't getting crushed or coil bound then they last much better. If the springs' working room is compromised then ease at the hammer end.
I would stress that without handling the gun's action it is difficult to analyse, so put your thinking cap on and work it out for yourself.
Remember, strikers are a consumable part and one shouldn't be too precious about them.
I make all my strikers from '12.9' cap head bolts (don't know if that translates) which doesn't need any heat treatment. It is quite tough to turn but gives a long lasting result. The whole pin is turned from one piece of metal, you do not need to weld on extra bits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used Inlet valve stems for my Armi G Gamber hammer gun fired lots of rounds
I wouldn't use exhaust valves they are to brittle. It helps that I'm an engine reconditioner so have access to lots of valves

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.