March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, canvasback, SKB, Ted Schefelbein), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#594537 03/26/21 03:48 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anybody here shoot a Darne? There’s a 16 gauge, straight stock in reasonable original condition at our local gun show. No rust or pitting, I’d say 50% blue, action gone grey but original stock and checkering is good. Anyway, do you find that sliding breech awkward, or do you get used to it with use?

This gun is very light and handy with 27.5” barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own two, a 10 gauge (R-10) and a 12 gauge (P-19).The stocks tend to feel short for the measured length of pull. Many of them have way too much drop, but if you can find one with modern dimensions, they are a pleasure to use. Most seem to be relatively light in weight but the action is extremely strong. If you can, check the trigger pulls, as some seem to be very heavy and depending on the model, can be hard to adjust. Most are 2-1/2 inch guns, but that's not a problem if you reload or don't mind paying RST prices.

That sliding breach is a delight: lift the lever and the shells come out of the chambers, then tilt the gun and they drop into your hand.

Prices seem to be all over the map. Depending on grade, you could be talking an $8-900 gun or a $3,500-4,000 (although probably not, with that much wear) gun. You can determine the grade by removing the barrels and looking on the flats. Add 10 to the number of grade markings on the flats (they look sort of like circles).

Be sure you like it before you buy it as they are easier to purchase than to sell.

Ted Schefelbein, who posts here, was the importer for a while and can tell you much more about them. Goeffrey Gournet, the engraver, also works on them, as does J.J. Perodeau, the gunsmith formerly at Champlin Arms.

If you decide to pass on this one and don't mind, I'm looking for a reasonably priced 16 gauge sxs and I'd appreciate the contact information for the seller.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks I’m thinking about offering a straight across trade for my 12 ga LC Smith featherweight that is completely restored, new stock, rust blued barrels and color case hardening. It weighs 6#9.5oz, seems to fit me fine, but I don’t hit well with it and I’m looking for a lighter gun to carry for pheasants.

This Darne has reasonable drop, but you’re right about the length of pull, it’s 14-1/8” feels an inch short to me.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Serial number 11579 under the lever, nothing I can see on the barrel flats, one piece stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Glacierjohn
This Darne has reasonable drop, but you’re right about the length of pull, it’s 14-1/8” feels an inch short to me.

If you do decide to lengthen the stock, let me recommend using an ebony or other wood extension versus a pad to keep the balance better. On a gun as light as these generally are, 5 or 6 ounces at the butt really makes a difference in balance and handling.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is alarming, G-John. You should see just ahead of the flats the proof marks from St. Etienne on the barrels themselves. On the flats should be a number of round punch marks which, as noted, are added to 10 to define the grade. You should also see the chamber length in either centimeters or millimeters and a nitro proof mark, usually PT. Key here is to look at the lever. It should have the word "Darne" in elaborate script in a small cartouche Between the ears near the breech when closed. If it does not, it is not a Darne but possibly a licensed copy from another maker.

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tim Carney
That is alarming, G-John. You should see just ahead of the flats the proof marks from St. Etienne on the barrels themselves. On the flats should be a number of round punch marks which, as noted, are added to 10 to define the grade. You should also see the chamber length in either centimeters or millimeters and a nitro proof mark, usually PT. Key here is to look at the lever. It should have the word "Darne" in elaborate script in a small cartouche Between the ears near the breech when closed. If it does not, it is not a Darne but possibly a licensed copy from another maker.

Regards, Tim

Ok, I’m not looking at the actual barrel flats, I was looking at the action under the breech. It wasn’t obvious how to remove the barrels, so I didn’t get to see under there.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Fellows,
He said “One piece stock”. That is a big hint. It’s old. Better than good chance it isn’t even a Darne. That changes things.
First question should always be, does it say Darne on the opening lever. Yes, or no?
After that is out of the way, we can get to the flats.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This forum is the best! I’m going to pass on it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

And the answer is no, it doesn’t say Darne anywhere. Cool gun though. I’ve always been intrigued ever since I read Stephen Bodio’s Good Guns Again

Last edited by Glacierjohn; 03/26/21 06:09 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.