March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 838 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Just re-reading all of this again makes me realize why I so-appreciate small game hunting, especially for birds. Even with all of the challenges being put in place by the various regulatory agencies, it is still way-simpler, cheaper, and argueably... way more fun. My hunting partners and I have always had to approach our elk hunts with the seriousness of planning a military campaign, and I have always seen an elk as a significant component of my larder and have worked hard to maintain that protein stream. Maybe too hard?

When I'm afield with a scattergun, it's always pure pleasure. Just me and the day. A good gun, a vest, a few shells, and maybe a trail lunch of an apple and a few nuts. Nothing is very heavy, nothing is very serious. It can become a numbers game at times, but it usually doesn't, and as long as you can cover a fair-amount ground on foot, you'll have a reasonable chance of enjoying yourself and even actually succeeding at bagging something. Very few barriers and very few risks by comparison. I'm fairly certain I'll be doing birds a lot longer than the other.

I'm feeling your pain and came to the same conclusion about bird hunting verses big game a long time ago.

I've been playing the Colorado big game draw system for way longer than I care to think about. I get more frustrated by the process every year, especially with the draws that have weighted points in the mix. This will be the 18th year that I've been applying for a Moose tag in the same area. When I read the language about how weighted points work. I realize that I may never draw a moose tag in this crazy ass system. Then I think about a mutual friend we have that has way more points than I have who still hasn't drawn his goat or sheep tag, let alone he has 20+ elk points & still hasn't drawn for the area he has dreamed of hunting. This is really frustrating when you start applying when you're in your 40's and then realize your now in your mid 60's "Our friend in his mid-70's" & still have little chance of drawing the tag you've been chasing. By the way; We've tongue in cheek named our friend with the 20+ Elk points "The Point Hunter" not for the points on the rack, but for his draw points:)

You're also right about the Parks & Wildlife money game. I just received an email last night announcing they are extending the draw application deadline to April 9th so more people have a chance to get their applications in!! WTF???

I look back to the day's when I starting hunting as kid when all big licenses were over the counter & you could buy two buck tags if you wanted them. I also have one of my grandfathers Colorado sportsman tag's that included two deer, elk, bear, a cat, small game & fishing all in the same license. They were still selling similar tag's into the early 70's. AHHH those were the day's!!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those were the days that led us to where we are.

Out there doing it best I can.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It always seems to come back to that anymore, doesn't it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/img]

Last fall, after 5 days chasing elk near Fairplay, I come home to find these guys in my yard...

1 member likes this: ClapperZapper
Sidelock
Sidelock

We have far more people and now as then, and, the baby boomers have disposable income.

There is excessive pressure on every big game animals in the United States

If it weren’t for the lottery system there would be none.

I’m doing the Kodak Island Sitka Blacktail / duckhunting boat trip next.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
....There is excessive pressure on every big game animals in the United States

If it weren’t for the lottery system there would be none.

I’m doing the Kodak Island Sitka Blacktail / duckhunting boat trip next.
I think the auto insurance industry reported nearly two million claims in the latest one year period for collision damage with animals. Tens of thousands of depredation permits are issued in the US each year. Chances are, places that look like a bunch of the vehicles have meaty looking after market bumpers, probably report a tiny percentage of actual collisions with popular big game animals. Maybe, there are critters around, great picture Ryan, just not all lined up in front of us?

Neat hunt coming up. Is it an example of a destination that is difficult to pay attention to all year round and and might have a high potential for lack of preparation. Is it a real hunt if a guide is paid to dot the Is and cross the Ts, but turns out that no big game happens to be taken. Sorry about that CZ, what are Kodiak Island hunts fueled with, immigrant lunch money?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hunting big game in remote places, (especially bear country) takes preparation.
The paper side of it just takes attention to dates on the calendar.
It’s no different to me than paying regular bills.

If you can’t do that part, how serious are you?

My efforts in Alaska over the next few seasons are just to fill out my life game card.
Most people aren’t determined enough to train their body, mind, and field craft skills for an entire year pre-remote hunt. It get physically more difficult each year.

Corona virus is making the taking of a “Macnab” sketchy for this season.

As for the money side of it all, Just add up the constituent parts, budget for them, work hard, and save your money.

I am the wrong person to makes quips about immigrant labor to. I have ICE on speed dial.
I’ve had at least a thousand of them rounded up over the last decade.

The penalties are on the wrong side of the equation.

1 member likes this: craigd
Sidelock
Sidelock

My boys and I went through all the same frustrations as Lloyd did. The boys and the crew we hunt with are all non residents The crowning insult to them was being forced to to buy a small game licence, which they will never use, before even being allowed to enter the draw! If (when) Colorado decides to reintroduce Wolves, there wont be any elk to hunt anyhow......I have done the Sitka deer -duck hunt on Kodiak...Great experience....

Sidelock
Sidelock

When fuel is three dollars a gallon, big game tags over $500 apiece, every state in the country with budget problems, the $93 it takes to have a chance to collect a preference point or a tag for a unit you desire, is a small part of the equation.

And I suppose nobody plans on shooting any blue grouse or is Or spruce hens for camp meat while on the excursion.

Alternatively, you can take your chances on leftover tags, or over-the-counter tags, after August 1 and save the 100 bucks.

Every state with big game has migrated to some form Of base license plus fee tags in the last 20 years.

Michigan included.

I absolutely hate the new pheasant stamp.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

'There is excessive pressure on every big game animals in the United States'

But it wasn't long ago we could buy as many $15 doe antelope tags as we wanted in WY.
And ND was spending $000's to help farmers and ranchers protect their hay supplies as well as offering extra doe tags upon request in some of the heaviest hit units.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.