March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#595750 04/20/21 11:30 AM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have become a perfect bore measurement device. If I like any gun, at any auction, I can rest assured that when measured, one or both barrel walls will be found to be too thin. Just how thin you wonder? Most times lately it has been .016- .018”. There has been the odd .020-.021 bore. I do not choose to shoot barrels thinner than .020 as a rule. Not just because I worry about a rare failure but because I seem to be able to drop or fall with a gun in hand at an astonishing rate. Thin barrels dent so easily.

I have just found the four thinnest barrels on the upcoming Holts Auction by just showing interest in them. With the end of lead shot in a Great Britain I expect hundreds of marginal guns to be hitting the auction house in an attempt to get some money out of them before the market collapses. Higher condition and higher quality guns will retain good value I expect. Box locks have already crashed in price, so much that they cost more to import than to buy. It is a buyers market coming I think with low domestic demand and higher import cost will even depress demand from the US.

I use to think about Briley sub gauge tubes as a option but they tend to make everything so muzzle heavy I just don’t even shoot them. Oh well, most of the fun at auctions is looking for gems others miss, not buying every marginal gun out there.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I just had an absolutely stunning sub gauge London best Hammer gun in that had passed nitro re-proof at some point in the past. The client asked me to measure them for him as he felt the were somewhere around .020" or so but he wanted to know what they really measured. Turns out he did not see the area of riveling a few inches behind one muzzle, the gun measured .013" for about 6" in length behind the choke on one tube. The client is now considering a sleeve job. The gun did come from a UK auction house.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kind of a PT Barnum thing going on, eh?

Out there doing it best I can.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It pays to do your research that is for sure. I have been stung in the Holt's sealed bid auction but I bid low money there fully knowing the risks. Most of the bigger auction houses will provide both condition reports and wall thickness upon request. It is mixed lot playing the auction game but I like to think the odds are far better than in Vegas for an educated bidder.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago in Tulsa I was meandering around the tables and found an absolutely delightful Belgium double of fairly high quality. I fondled it for quite awhile and the price was going to be right. I almost pulled the trigger but some past experiences live momentarily in me. I told the seller I thought we had a deal but before completing it I wanted to measure the bores and wall thickness. Hurried back to where I had left the gauges and came back. Bores were quite a bit oversized but that didn’t deter me but then I calibrated my wall thickness gauge and ran it in. I thought at first my measurement was in error but recalibrated and tried it again—.010! My heart sank and I laid the gun down and asked the seller if he wanted to know what I had found. He just turned and ignored me, not offering any acknowledgement. Saved once again with my trusty tools!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
1 member likes this: Imperdix
Sidelock
Sidelock

The issue with declared MWT's at UK auctions is a big one. There is one well known auction house in the UK whose MWT's are often very 'generous' and another that is often quite pessimistic, definitely erring on the side of caution. Ever since being caught out by the former, I try to NEVER buy at auction without measuring the MWT's myself or by a trusted independent.
If for some reason I HAVE to bid on a gun uninspected, I allow for a 10% 'generosity' in the supplied figures, prepare myself for an unpleasant shock and bid cautiously. Thankfully, in recent times this policy has saved me from too many heart stopping moments!
I think it is important to bear in mind that although some lots will have come deceased estates etc and be genuine opportunities, many will be being offloaded by the trade who just want to see the back of a stock item with issues that can not economically be fixed.
In fairness, it should be remembered that the UK gun auction system was developed to sell guns to the guntrade, not the public, but with the internet has become considered an almost a retail environment. The result is that the innocent are buying guns at 'fantastic' prices without the knowledge to know a 'pig in a poke' from a 'bargain'. You can't blame the auction houses for enjoying this new(ish) market sector and their only legal obligation is to the Proof Laws which themselves leave a lot to be desired.
Caveat Emptor!

1 member likes this: Imperdix
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have used inspection and condition reports in the past. Although they work well, they tend to get expensive when you are interested in multiple guns. I no longer think of any gun I buy as a fantastic bargain, if I ever did. I figure the real bargains are recognized by those who have the opportunity to inspect the gun in person and are bought locally.

I do still bid on guns which have unique features or are hard to find. Like a crossover double meant for the left handed shooter. Been looking for one of those for more than five years. I’ve seen 100+ for right handlers but only one for left handlers. It will complete a display of right hand crossover, left hand crossovers and central vision.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.