April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Der Ami, Argo44, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, Gartenmeister, 2 invisible), 219 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,713
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just picked up an interesting 16 gauge Simson to use as a grouse and preserve pheasant gun, mostly because I still have about 7 flats of 16 gauge ammo of various types. It's a boxlock, in very good condition other than some minor freckling and bluing wear on the barrels, most of which cleaned up with the application of some gun oil and rubbing with the edge of an older copper penny.

The gun has nearly all of its case colors and a better than average piece of wood, especially for German boxlock in the price range below $1000, and lacks the usual cheekpiece, which leads me to believe it was intended for a market other than Germany. It also has two interesting features, neither of which I noticed when I ordered the gun on line.

The first feature is a double barrel lug, one under each barrel, rather than a single, centrally mounted lug. I've seen photos of such lugs, but never actually handled a gun with them before. I'm not sure of the why one would do that, but they appear to function, so they aren't an issue.

The second feature is a full set of British Birmingham nitro proof markings, including the BNP, 2-1/2" and 3 tons stampings. I have never seen a German gun with British proofs before, but there they are, sharp as the day they were applied. I'm wondering if the gun came home from the wars in some Tommy's duffel and then was redone after having provided yeoman service to its owner, with the bores honed enough to require reproof. I have no idea how it ended up in the U.S.

The bores are .667 and .669 and the chokes are IC/M, which will be perfect for my intended usage. Barrel wall thicknesses are in the 30s and 40s. The chambers are marked as 2-1/2", but the guy operating the reamer must have leaned a bit hard on it the day he bored them as they measure 67mm in the left barrel and 68mm in the right barrel. The forcing cones are quite short and I'm considering having them lengthened, as I'll probably shoot 2-3/4 inch low pressure reloads as a standard fare. Measuring the Remington, Winchester (compression formed) and Herter's (the newer Cabela's type) fired hulls gives me 68, 69 and 68 mm respectively, so I don't think that should be a problem.

I'll try to get some photos of the barrel lugs and the proof markings this weekend and post them.

In the meantime, have you ever seen a German double with British proofs?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

40X,
Based on your description( photos would be better), you have a Simson- Jaeger. Franz Jaeger, the grandfather of the German Gun Collectors Assn. founder, was the designer. The double lugs makes it more stabile (side to side). Also I think you will find it doesn't have a hinge pin, rather it has a solid round lug milled into each side, these being larger than a typical hinge pin. The locking lugs are likely covered by plates, rather than being let into the action. Drillings made on this action were not as thick as common drillings, because the locking lugs would be next to the rifle barrel, instead of under it. This action was available in hammer and hammerless form. Does it have both British and German proofs ? If it was a war trophy, it would carry both. If it was made for export to England it wouldn't have to have German proofs. It is a good find.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 04/24/21 01:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That should be one of the Franz Jaeger patent guns please post pics? Does it have removable side plates?
Seems to be very strong action I have a Belgium Record version of same patent.
Long thread about them here under englebert clever blitz. https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=578370&page=1

Also Gunwolf and Raimey sent me here for info https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=266958 Great guys!
http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/archive-jaeger-franz/

Last edited by Jtplumb; 04/23/21 05:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that at one time German proof marks ceased to be recognised by the British Proof authorities as being applied by “enemy aliens”.

It may be that the then owner was told he had to submit it to British proof before he was lawfully able to sell it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Finally got around to taking the photos and transferring them to a hosting site:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Remington40x; 04/28/21 02:33 PM.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it a blitz action?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don’t know and I am ham handed enough not to try stripping the action myself. Most of the screws are near perfect.

Last edited by Remington40x; 04/29/21 09:11 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice find and yes it most certainly should be a trigger plate action with that patent. Usually frame under trigger guard(trigger plate) is little wide on a blitz. Nice gun!

Last edited by Jtplumb; 04/29/21 02:39 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It:

Thanks. I feel very fortunate to have acquired it and early indications are that I shoot it well. I’ll play with it some more before sending the barrels off to be reblued and the chokes opened a bit, as I want to use it as my primary grouse gun. Right now, when I’m on a clay bird, all that’s left is a dust cloud in the air and I don’t think a grouse should be similarly treated.

Rem

Last edited by Remington40x; 06/09/21 01:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

and just why is that, Remmie? Nothing builds confidence in the gun in the hands of a skilled bird hunter that to see a cloud of body feathers hanging the in October afternoon breeze- as Nash Buckingham described in his article "The Dove"also fewer cripples for your dog to find (before the Fox and 'Yote brotherhood take over. My favorite grouse gun, back i the 1970's-whe I had a fine Setter female (out of the Mississippi Zev Bloodlines, was a LeFever 20 bore Durston Special-28" barrels DT- have no idea how it was choked, it fit me perfectly and I didn't miss many grouse or woodcock over Maggie's solid points with that scattergun.

Sounds like you have another shotgun with this Simson "Blitz" actioned 16-- Blitz being German for "Lightning"-hope it is all you could ever want in a bird gun. Ever read the older issues of Gray's-1970's- era. with Ed Gray at the helm. Fall 1977 issue- there is a splendid poem by a native Keystone State grouse hunter- Don Titus-if memory serves--Robert Abbett Fall scene with a Setter and two grouse taking wing(s)- Best poem I've yet read about the mystique of grouse hunting. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 05/01/21 08:46 AM. Reason: change @#$%$# to female doggy

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.