March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Roundsworth, 12boreman, WBLDon, Travis S), 629 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, The 37 needs to be held in a manner so you can shove the shell much further in the receiver than any side loader, not all shooters are totally comfortable with that, much easier to shove one into the magazine push the release and shuck one into the chamber. I will sign up for the course when it is offered in AZ!
A round of trap where I shoot is $5.00, I don't think that I would pay $18.75 or $25.00 for 25 targets! I suppose at that price you could justify a few "freebies".
In these modern times you will see many more shooting ranges closing, no ammo, rising target prices (goes right along with petroleum) plus pressures from state and local government officials.

Last edited by AZMike; 04/26/21 07:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

On operating a mdl. 37 pump gun. Clearing the mag, you don't have to rack them all through the action spewing shells in the dirt, chambering live rounds while the gun is in an unsafe position etc. Find the mag stop and use it! Single load as outlined above then fill the mag. Another nice feature of the 37. After releasing the rounds in the mag to your hand via the mag stop, keep your hand well back on the fore end . Release the action and pull the slide back, the chambered round will surely be delivered to hand.
October's just around the corner!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I rec'd my 1st mod.37 (deluxe model with vent rib) at the age of13. Still have it at 66. 1st shotgun and it being a birthday gift I would never part with it. Hunted pheasants and rabbits and shot a lot of ATA trap. Be wary of the man with only one gun. Never had a problem with it. Loading on the line was easy. Great for me as a left hand shooter and I never had to worry about hitting someone with an empty hull. Seeing the faces of those guys with those fancy two barrel guns was priceless when they where beat by the kid with the pump. I shot 1000's upon 1000's of shells thru that gun without a hick up. Great wood, slick action,and easy to carry. The slam fire action was an added plus.
I have a Skeet 20 ga. that is just as good. I always thought they where an underrated gun. Nice used guns easily found used for $250- $300 when Mod.12's where twice the price (or more).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Foxy, reread my post and you will see that I was referring to the Knick rib on the Ithaca, not the Winchester. The "Knick rib" refers to the wide ventilated rib that is the same rib used on the "Knickerbocker" model single trap gun. It was installed on early graded Model 37 Ithacas, both trap and skeet models.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ithaca Gun in Upper Sandusky Ohio just sent out an email yesterday saying that the home defense model is back in stock and available. I suspect they are in high demand right now. The 37's you do find have gone up in price a lot as has all guns lately. Although not sure of in Canada.

Upper Sandusky makes a pretty decent 37 IME. I use one for clays when I feel the need for a 12 ga. and shucking shells. Got AAA wood for it too, it is one of my waterfowl guns. Grandpa's 37 duck gun was wood and steel good enough for him good enough for me.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Also have an Upper Sandusky 12 ga. Ultralight that comes in at 6 pounds. Only section of land in SD that didn't have a fence post to set the gun on LOL

Something special about the prewar 37's though. 1940 Trap with Knick rib

Have a 37 Skeet with a Knick rib but it came from the factory with a Poly on it. Picked up a 28" Knickerbocker bbl. on ebay a few years back but still haven't had it fitted. The Polychokes may be ugly but they work, and honestly like how it swings. One of these days will have the unmolested Knick bbl. fitted.

Most of my 37's are in 16 ga. as that is what I grew up with. And prefer to shoot even for clays. Bottom gun is a 16 ga. 1961 37RVD

Some didn't care for the King Ferry 37's. I never had any problem with them. KF 16 ga. English Ultralight Deluxe works just fine, grouse don't care for them so much.

Favorite 37's are pre 1955, in 16 ga. of course. They just work for me and work well.

The 20 ga. 37 Ultralights at just over 5 pounds had the Sid Bell grip caps on them. Sort of Garanimals for hunters LOL.

20 ga. UL deerslayer compared to prewar 37T 12 ga.

A couple of slugs through a 5 pound gun was enough to convince me that I didn't really ever need to do that again.

I never felt the need for a Model 12. Have an 870 somewhere around here, just because. Not really sure how many 37's I own but I am sure it is not enough of them.

3 members like this: FallCreekFan, GLS, builder
Sidelock
Sidelock

very nice collection of 37's. I am partial to them. The prices of the new ones shock me. I picked up my early 20 ga. skeet for $165.00. I guess sometimes you can get lucky.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my first year of production 20 ga. M37 made in 1939. It was advertised to weigh 5.75 lbs. and this one is a little lighter by an ounce. The weight savings was partially accomplished by a square cut hollowed out section in the stock. This one was a "second" and because of the faulty set up of the roller engraver, rather than discard the partially engraved receivers, the scenes were completed by hand chasing at the factory with more than a little extra thrown in. At the time, Ithaca used high gloss bluing. This one is a keeper with its 28" modified barrel. Gil
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

2 members like this: Cold Iron, 1straightshot
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great bunch of 37’s, thanks for sharing! I’m partial to model 31s , with one in 16 and a 20. Great guns, smooth actions and fit well. I had a 20 ga 37 at one time, a clean example from the 70s, wish I still had it with today’s used gun prices. It had a big orange bead which I didn’t care for... I keep thinking of ordering a 20 or 28 ga M37 from the Ithaca Gun folks but haven’t taken the leap yet.

Anyone have a report on the 28 ga version of the 37?

-Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Three 16 gauge pumpguns, an M12, M31L, and a pre-war M37.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/27/21 08:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned one of the King’s Ferry 16 gauge Ultras, it had killer wood and a ventilated rib, screw choke barrel, that left it about the same weight as a mid 50s 16 gauge 37 that had a plain barrel the same length. Sold both, but, more than doubled my money on the sale of the Ultra. Did OK on the Feather Weight, too.
I still have a King’s Ferry 12 gauge, 3” magnum (ever seen one?) with two barrels, 26” and 30”, too short and too long. Good quality gun, HEAVY, over 8 lbs, I shoot some trap with it, but, have to reverse the safety back to right handed since my difficulty with the left eye started.
44 seasons past, my Dad’s deer hunting partner sold me a model 17 for $50, that started me down the Ithaca path. I have lefty and righty safeties for that gun, and two barrels, a 26” modified and the 21” Baker choked barrel that had a ventilated Cutts on it, that I hated. Stan amputated the Cutts, best grouse hunting move I ever made.
Fine guns. Ithaca 12 magnum, and Remington model 17:

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.