March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, Jimmy W, Marc Ret, Little Creek, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

See Geoffrey Boothroyd's article entitled, "Sleeving" in The Double Gun Journal, Vol 5, issue 4 (Winter 1994). Mr. Ashthorpe is featured and described as the "inventor" of sleeving. However, Boothroyd also states that W.H. Monks patented a technique that "anticipated" sleeving in 1881.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, many thanks for the reply. The proof house History book wasn't clear on what it meant and I just typed Verbatim. I think K Y Jon may have the best answer. I'm sure the Proof House would clarify if contacted. The 1960 proof house booklet in addition also mentions that the Proof House initially wanted the component parts submitted for examination prior to sleeving. Quite a bit is covered and too long for my typing speed! It also covers The repair of Gun Barrels by Welding, The Repair of Gun Barrels by the Sleeving Method and Chroming of the Bores of Shotgun Barrels. All bits may be of interest to you and I would be happy to photocopy and post on to you if you wish to send me a Personal Message. The first Proof House book that I quoted on is quite a large and comprehensive book and was privately published by the Author who was then Curator of the Proof House museum and the Historian. Only 50 copies were printed and I was lucky to get one as he is known to me. Most I think went to people in the Trade. It was published in 2015 by www.flaydemouse.com Mine is number 37 of 50. He has none left. A large format book of 328 pages and a fascinating insight into the workings of the Proof House. If you can be lucky enough source a copy it would prove to be a valuable investment. He had just five left when I got mine at £50 a piece and I sometimes regret not buying the remainders at the time and just sit on them for a few years. His ( C.W. Harding's) first book was on Eley cartridges and sold for around £25 in 2006; copies now are fetching well over £400! Lagopus…..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus and KY Jon;

Thank both of for your comments concerning 20,000 standard service cartridge issue. That the sentence should be construed to mean 20,000 rounds of standard cartridges seems to be the likely explanation.

Lagopus;
Your mention of the proof house and the subject of "The repair of Gun Barrels by Welding" brings to mind a comment made to me by a descendant of Arthur Howell the Birmingham, England gunmaker who died in 1957 (his business Arthur Howell & Company was located in Whitall Street, Birmingham). In 2002 when I was living in the UK I visited Arthur Howell's family near Birmingham to research his records and history of his gunmaking business that he operated from about 1900 to 1957. Among many other things I was told about Arthur Howell's gun business, one of his descendants told me that Arthur Howell very early in the 1900's had taken interest in modern welding methods and techniques and had gone over to one of the technical schools at or near Birmingham to study welding and had become very qualified in the processes of that day. Further, it was told to me that the Birmingham Proof House was very opposed to Arthur Howell submitting barrels for reproof that he had repaired by welding, but that in the end he won out and the proof house tested the barrels and they passed proof.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 04/29/21 03:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can understand why a proof house would be slow to embrace new technologies or new ways of making barrels. The entire point of passing proof is to give the buyer confidence that the gun or barrel is sound and should last under normal usage. Sleeving was a big change from new barrels and I am sure there were questions about how long a soldered seam or welded seam would last. Plus what would cutting and boring a set of old barrels mean for their integrity and long term strength. But technology evolve and testing needs to stay a pace. They were slow to embrace sleeving but did come around.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Trying to find Monks' patent.
The Engineer 1881 Jul-Dec: Patent Journal Index lists "Monks, W.H., Small-arms, 288" about 1/5 way down here. It is Monks, with a 's'
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/The_Engineer_1881_Jul-Dec:_Index:_Patent_Journal
But no issue date.

I was able to register, but there is a fee to open the PDF for each issue to search for the patent frown
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/The_Engineer_1881_Jul-Dec

He may have made bicycles also
https://books.google.com/books?id=ewszAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA1386&lpg[size:17pt][/size]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whenever sleeving comes up for discussion the question arises on how chopper lump can still be regarded as the best barrel jointing system.

A tube change in a monobloc design returns the barrels to their original condition. Sleeving a chopper lump can never do that.

Comparing sleeving to rebarreling with monobloc barrels is a logical question, (monobloc barrels are affordable) but one that has been rejected every time I directed it to British gunsmiths. The usual explanation is that monobloc is not compatible with "best" work, but somehow sleeving is. The other excuse is that on the monobloc you can "see the joint", which reminded me of the Morecamb and Wise comedy show, where Morecamb harped on about Wise's hair, insinuating that Wise wore a toupe and he could see the joint.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 04/30/21 07:25 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Much to my surprise I might even be able to contribute to this thread.

I have a Rigby 16 g that was re-sleeved (fluid steel to fluid steel) and re-proofed in 1955 for a 2 1/2" shell at 3 tons PSI. The join is barely visible and this is with the bluing at about 60%

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a William Moore 12 gauge hammer gun that has been sleeved. The joint is invisible, except for a small area under the forearm. Whoever did the bluing matched the damascus monoblock and the sleeved barrels so well that you are barely able to tell that the two are of different composition except in very bright sunlight. I have no idea who did the work, but it is as good a sleeving job as ever I've examined. In addition, it really is a very nice gun, probably one of the two nicest I own.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.