March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Southern Sport, Borderbill, damascus, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Which Least Expensive Bench Lathe ??

I am interested in taking .22 Hornet new cases (WW) and turning the original rim thickness down on a lathe to 1.4 mm (.055") working from the chamber side not on the bottom side.
This would be for use in my 22 Vierling (5.6 X 35 rimmed) drilling.
Need an easy to use lathe, if there is such an animal
Thanks!
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,
See my answer in the GGCA forum.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

If there is enough web in your brass, maybe you could just take it off the primer side anyway and recut the pocket with a uniformer? I've jigged up this type of task a bunch of times to use regular handtools and you might check your fit as you may not need to get all the way down to .055. Only thoughts, good luck with it.

Last edited by craigd; 05/09/21 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if this couldn't be done with drill press and a file

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can, but its much less repeatable. Some lathe that can use collets will probably work best

Sidelock
Sidelock

craigd,
You are correct all the way around. That is precisely how I do it for my cases. I milled the first one in half, and there is enough web. I set the lathe up with "stops" and make a production of it. The stops makes it precise enough. The only thing I do "by hand" is chamfer the newly uniformed primer pocket. I found doing that under power with a handheld tool , made it too easy to take out too much allowing gas leakage. Another benefit is the now incorrect headstamp is removed.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I would try that first before buying a lathe, especially if it was a poorly made lathe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Swaging the rim thinner could be an option. I used to make .455 cases from 45Colt and used the method to 'thin the rim.
You do need to make or have made a simple die that the 22H in this instance will slip fit into and the rim land solidly on the bottom flat of the die. The interior of the die does not need to be chambered formed to the Hornet. Only the base dia of the case need be a close fit to the die.

The .455/45Colt swage die reduced the rims by around .025. I should think it would work as well for
the Hornet too if it s need around .010 reduction for the conversion.

The easiest way IMO is if the die fits into your reloading press. Then using a small primer pocket swage in this case, push the 22 hornet case into the die and adjust the die so that the case rim is 'squashed' against the base of the die.
Use the top of the linkage toggle movement where the leverage is the greatest.
You adj the die in and out of the press as well to make changes in the thickness of the rim.
The Primer Pocket Swage works well as it not only provides a flat surface at the base to push the case into the die, the primer pocket is supported during the process so there's no chance it can close up any.

I've seen others make a similar die but with a rim recess on the bottom of the exact depth they want the case to come out. Then the die with unaltered case inside is placed base down on a very sturdy steel surface.
The die then struck w/a hammer.
Kind of like using the old 2 piece bullet hammer swage idea.

One small thing you usually have to do is trim the outside dia of the rim back down. The brass you are moving has to go somewhere and it moves to the outside dia of the rim. You can spin those in the Black&Decker and trim w/a file if you
don't want to buy a lathe.
....Maybe you could have the other end of the same die cut with a rim recess of the correct dia and use that end with the same primer pocket swage to push the thinned but too large in dia rims into the shear the excess off.
Just a thought
Then there's that pesky rim chamfer,,back to the drill and files.

Good luck with your project.
I have a rifle that was/is chambered in 22 Vierling, Originally a single shot that looks like a undersize Mannlicher Schoenauer.
But someone made it into a repeater,,quite nicely though. I've never gotten around to checking that chamber to see if they altered it or not

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lathe is a requirement of life( a mill too), even if you don't have a rifle. How else can you make a new handle for your wife's cheese straw press at 1030 on Christmas Eve night. Since you need one anyway, you may as well use it to make cases too.
Mike

1 member likes this: Hoot4570
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Der Ami
A lathe is a requirement of life( a mill too), even if you don't have a rifle. How else can you make a new handle for your wife's cheese straw press at 1030 on Christmas Eve night. Since you need one anyway, you may as well use it to make cases too.
Mike

Der Ami;

As Spanky would say: "you said a mouth full". I do not know how you can get by in being a gun enthusiast without a metal lathe of some sort. Even the formerly $200.00 Chinese mini lathes which are now about $900.00 fill the bill in doing most work and if you really watch what you are doing you can do accurate work on them, especially for the type of work of the subject of this post. This day and time many good used lathes are about, and you may have to spend an amount equal to or greater than the cost of the lathe for a excellent quality chuck, but it is worth it as long as the lathe bed ways are OK.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.