April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (AGS, Mark Larson, Jimmy W, AaronN, 1 invisible), 395 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,788
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

As thick walled as those cases are I can’t see any practical way to resize them. Totally unlike drawn cases, which are very thin walled. You’ll be better off either getting new cases (look at the cases at Track of the Wolf) or turning them down—a very delicate lathe operation.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

YES, like Joe said and send the old cases to ME !! smile

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe you’re looking at the wrong end of the hoss.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are your chambers in good shape? I see a lot of old guns with chambers which are tough as heck. If yours are rough polish them is a good first step.

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
Are your chambers in good shape? I see a lot of old guns with chambers which are tough as heck. If yours are rough polish them is a good first step.

The chambers are fine, it is a relatively new Spanish double, I have other new and used RMC hulls that fall out of the gun with no problems.. The problem appears to be that whomever I bought the hulls from used them in a shotgun with chambers that were not as tight as the chambers on my shotgun.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Boxlock
Boxlock

What is the interior dimension of your 10-gauge chamber just above the rim? What is the diameter just above the rim of the existing fired cases that will fit? What is the diameter just above the rim of the fired cases that won't chamber? That would determine how many thousandths you would need to resize.

SAAMI spec is here, page 19: https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...shell-2015-R2019-Approved-2019-04-23.pdf

Diameter of 10-gauge 3.5" just above the rim is 0.854 - 0.009, meaning that your 0.846 is right about at the very smallest diameter possible. Not knowing the dimensions you're working with, If I were you I would try opening up the 0.846" hole to about 0.850" or 0.852" for the first inch or so and see if that takes care of the problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are these cases turned from brass bar instead of drawn? if so my previous advice is wrong, bsteele's and/or John E's is correct. Turned cases act differently than drawn.
Mike

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Der Ami
Are these cases turned from brass bar instead of drawn? if so my previous advice is wrong, bsteele's and/or John E's is correct. Turned cases act differently than drawn.
Mike

They aren't drawn like the Magtech brass hulls, they are CNC'd from bar stock.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Build an online friendship.

Box them up and send them to someone here that can machine them for you.

Or sell them
Or reem the chamber

Having a set of progressive dies made, so that you can draw them to a slightly smaller diameter might be a fun project, but it’s not homeowner type stuff.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
....Or reem the chamber

Having a set of progressive dies made, so that you can draw them to a slightly smaller diameter might be a fun project, but it’s not homeowner type stuff.
CZ, would you really consider altering a gun to fit someone elses used brass?

If the brass only goes half way in the chamber, then it is likely the thinner wall that's hanging up. At the least, maybe put some calipers on the brass that work correctly, and the bulged brass, maybe do the sharpie low budget dykem, if the markings don't show without it. The expanded brass is probably not at the head, if similar brass can fully chamber, likely the thin wall would have expanded.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.