March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 852 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

It’s a 10 gauge Zabala
Last one I saw in the rack was 350 bucks

I’ve seen plenty of their 3 1/2 inch 10 gauges in the local goose pits.

If you’re going to go all the way to using brass cases, what is the short way around the barn?

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 05/20/21 09:19 AM.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I ordered and received twenty 8 Ga brass cases for a rifle. I sent a cerrosafe chamber cast per manufacturer for measurements. they came from a prominent case manufacturer. I received said cases and they would not completely chamber. lacked about 1/2" from completely seating in chambers.
I called and told him. he said he would correct. said I would send the barrel with cases to get exact fit and he said that would work.
i got cases back. still wouldn't go all the way in. so I could close the action. (break open single shot 8 bore, English)
I gave up. ill eventually fit the cases myself.

I was hugely disappointed due to the fact that this was supposed to be "The Guy" for brass cartridge cases.
after the second attempt there was no need to communicate with hi what else would he have done. have me send the whole thing back a third time?
for what. he had the barrel to fit them to. lesson learned.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
It’s a 10 gauge Zabala
Last one I saw in the rack was 350 bucks

I’ve seen plenty of their 3 1/2 inch 10 gauges in the local goose pits.

If you’re going to go all the way to using brass cases, what is the short way around the barn?

I use it with stiff loads of black powder for cowboy shooting. Plastic hulls don't fall out and don't last very long.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by pomofo
What is the interior dimension of your 10-gauge chamber just above the rim? What is the diameter just above the rim of the existing fired cases that will fit? What is the diameter just above the rim of the fired cases that won't chamber? That would determine how many thousandths you would need to resize.

SAAMI spec is here, page 19: https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...shell-2015-R2019-Approved-2019-04-23.pdf

Diameter of 10-gauge 3.5" just above the rim is 0.854 - 0.009, meaning that your 0.846 is right about at the very smallest diameter possible. Not knowing the dimensions you're working with, If I were you I would try opening up the 0.846" hole to about 0.850" or 0.852" for the first inch or so and see if that takes care of the problem.

The smallest number I got was .850

I think a combination of an arbor press and perhaps carefully reducing the amount of brass near the hull rim will be my best bet with the equipment I have available. The thickness of a RMC 10 g at the mouth is .030, the diameter at the mouth is .840 widening to .853 right above the rim. The good news is that the RMC hulls will probably never wear out, the bad news is if they are too big for a specific gun, they are a serious pain to re-size.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Remember if you make a swage die to limit the hull contact for ease of sizing.
Like a carbide ring or a hardened MEC sizing collar.

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chantry,

Without an accurate mic or caliper to determine the exact diameters it is hard to determine if the interference is at the mouth or base of the cases. A swage die is not the proper method. The chambers are tapered and the brass cases should be tapered also( plastic cases are stepped). The Body of the CASE should be no greater than 0.854" (+0.0 -.009") at the base and 0.840( Z0.020") at the mouth. CHAMBER, 0.858"MIN/0.841MIN accordingly.
Mark one of the oversize cases with a sharpie pen. Tap it into the chamber and remove. The interference point will show where the marker is removed. Sand/polish at the interference point until the cases drop in.

John

Last edited by John E; 05/20/21 04:35 PM.
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John E
Chantry,

Without an accurate mic or caliper to determine the exact diameters it is hard to determine if the interference is at the mouth or base of the cases. A swage die is not the proper method. The chambers are tapered and the brass cases should be tapered also( plastic cases are stepped). The Body of the CASE should be no greater than 0.854" (+0.0 -.009") at the base and 0.840( Z0.020") at the mouth. CHAMBER, 0.858"MIN/0.841MIN accordingly.
Mark one of the oversize cases with a sharpie pen. Tap it into the chamber and remove. The interference point will show where the marker is removed. Sand/polish at the interference point until the cases drop in.

John

It's mixed, I have 8 hulls that will go in almost all the way leaving about 1"-2" remaining and I have 12 more that won't go in half way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As this topic proceeds the information is being presented piecemeal and as John E rightly says it is hard to determine or pinpoint the actual site of restriction.

To start from the ground and work upwards you should have the gun chambers measured accurately for internal diameter - it is not infrequent to find the chambers of a double gun do not match up perfectly. That would be of little account if using plastic, paper or even thin walled drawn brass cases which are easily resized. This point is important when using thick walled cases which have been turned down from solid bar.!!
The discrepancy in the dimensions amongst the cases may indicate that they were not all produced as a single batch or may have been fired in different guns with the result of different points of interference when chambered in your gun. So once again check the point of restriction for each individual case in each chamber. Also check that each cartridge head rim fits within the chamber rim.
To keep floggin' the dead hoss, you could also mike the internal dimensions of the brass cases to try and identify the zone of enlargement on the outer wall.

Solid brass cases with thick walls are easier and cheaper to resize by "sand and polish" as pointed out above - and assuming that there is no weakening of the "stretched" wall - they should be safe enough for use with black powder.

The few makers of turned brass cases usually request that they have the gun in hand to make the brass case a true fit as the case which can be pushed into the chamber might still have excessive head thickness thereby preventing the breech closure.

G4me

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by greener4me
As this topic proceeds the information is being presented piecemeal and as John E rightly says it is hard to determine or pinpoint the actual site of restriction.

G4me
Sorry, I'm still learning what information is needed. I know it isn't the gun because new RMC that I bought and used RMC hulls bought from a different person work fine in the gun and have for years.

While it is possible the ones that don't fit were from different batches, that they all have a custom name on the base suggests that they came from the same production run.

I will try the sand & polish approach on a couple of hulls, if that doesn't work I'll see if they fit in any other 10 g that other cowboy shooters in the area use or sell them off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes the case cut off at the mouth is a bit ragged. I used a fine sandpaper to ease any roughness and then the cases worked fine.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.