March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, canvasback), 892 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that cast for central vison? For a left handed person? Looks odd.

Sidelock
Sidelock

mbatten;

I have found your Charles Dawson (C.K. Dawson) and I think that he may be the famous Ken Dawson. Nigel Brown's "BRITISH GUNMAKERS" Vol two page 205 lists a C.K. Dawson at 10/11 St. Mary's Row Street, Birmingham, England until 1963, which was about the time I believe that the area was demolished to make way for the motor way. Brown also list C.K. Dawson at 55/56 Price Street, Birmingham from 1964 until 1971 and then from 1981 until 1988 at 14 Meadow Road, Aldridge, Walsall, Staffs. So maybe this person was Charles Kenneth Dawson. I am going to send another note over to Malcolm Cruxton and ask him if perhaps Ken Dawson first name was Charles and of course if the Ken Dawson he knew worked int Aldridge and at 55/56 Price Street which would be across the courtyard from Malcolm's old shop now demolished.

Here is a photo of the yard behind 10/11 St. Mary's Row from the Birmingham historical files.

http://epapers.bham.ac.uk/379/

Regards;
Stephen Howell

mbatten Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Stephen - this is most helpful and interesting indeed!

That is the same address that is engraved on the rib.

And thank you for posting the photo - it's remarkable what beautiful objects were created in these rather dreary places!

Cheers!

mbatten

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Still looking for any information on DEWSON also. My 10-bore lightweight percussion double belonged to a cook at Teddy Roosevelt's ranch and was said by the cook to have been used on passenger pigeons in New York. V.M. Starr jug choked it for me and I shot many ducks with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mbatten
Thank you Stephen - this is most helpful and interesting indeed!

That is the same address that is engraved on the rib.

And thank you for posting the photo - it's remarkable what beautiful objects were created in these rather dreary places!

Cheers!

mbatten

Dear mbatten;

I am pleased to be able to confirm my hypothesis that C.K. (Charles Kenneth Dawson) was the maker of your BLE. The confirmation is from a email of today by George Malcolm Cruxton gunmaker of Price Street Birmingham (still working after more than 60 years in the trade) and he states this about Dawson who was known in the trade by his shortened middle name, Ken Dawson: "It is one in the same he used to work underneath me the other side of the yard where I am now."

I urge you to procure a copy of the small book by David Williams on the Birmingham gun trade and read the several pages related to the various gun firms that were in the premises of 10/11 St. Mary's Row. These buildings were built in the 1700's and demolished to make way for the motorway ring road through and around Birmingham in the 1960's. It is likely your gun was one of the very last ever built there. These premises were occupied by the Carr Brothers as well as William Ford and of course, the famous engraver Harry Morris.

I did not know Ken Dawson, but I have heard the late Birmingham gun tradesman Jack Rowe talk of him many times. It takes a great deal of skill and experience to be a master gun finisher like Ken Dawson was.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 06/07/21 11:27 PM.
mbatten Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stephen:

Thank you very much for this update, and please do pass along my thanks to Mr. Cruxton, as well! I'll have a look for the Williams text that you recommend.

I'm very fortunate indeed to have acquired this gun, built by such a fine craftsman. Perhaps Mr. Morris did the engraving, too.

Sincerely,

Mark Batten
Vancouver Island

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interestingly Ken Dawson actually was a Stock maker , his customers included Purdey & Holland & Holland .
He retired from working about 12 years ago from his workshop which was at Birches Bridge , Wolverhampton (not too far from Aldridge ) his workshop was in the same yard as the very famous gunlock makers York & Wallin who were Purdey Lockmakers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian;

Is Ken Dawson still living? I think he would have been born about 1934. Do you know who might have been his gaffer?

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

According to Ron Collings Ken Was apprenticed at Webley and Scott, before Ron's time. An Avid motorcyclist he rode a 1000cc Vincent to Work at W&S. Ron and him shared a yard in Price St and usually took lunch breaks together. Ron stated he was considered one of, if not the best stocker in England. He was noted for the style of his drop points. Regarding the source for the action I respectfully disagree that it was of W&S 700 heritage. The top lever spindle is to far back and lacks the "C" nut for a 700. It looks more to me like Greener lever work typically found on B'ham trade actions as made up by John Asbury and others. Many G.E.Lewis guns feature this action.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
mbatten Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The stock easily bent back to about 3/16" of cast-off, which suggests that the stock was originally made for a right-handed shooter, and had been bent for a lefty sometime in the past.

Now, it fits me just right.

mbatten

Last edited by mbatten; 07/07/21 09:37 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.