March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Jeremy Pearce, Dave K, Borderbill, battle), 777 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

... THREE position safeties.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I really really hate three position safeties. I had the ones on my L.C. Smith doubles converted to two position. I'd spend half a dove shoot pulling the safety back then pushing it back to the safe position...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like 3 position safeties. Disengage for target games-mostly live pigeon shooting in that day- Ithaca's three position worked normally as an automatic safety unless you moved it to the third position to disengage the auto feature. Ithaca abandoned the 3 position trigger circa 1913. I have removed the auto safety link on the two trigger NIDs I use for clay games. The single trigger NIDs allow the shooter to select either barrel OR a safe position. I guess it is all in what one is comfortable with doing. As mentioned in an earlier post, the safe position usually only blocks the triggers. A jar or drop will likely fire the gun. I once (and only once) went dove shooting with a fellow who liked to carry his shot gun holding it with both arms behind his neck. Often the barrel was pointing to me and my fellows. When question about his carelessness he said "don't worry it is on safe."
So how important is to safe gun handling just to have that sliding button to point to 'safe?'

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
It's been a while since I read the NSCA rulebook, but is forgetting to take a gun off safe an allowable malfunction? I believe in NSSA, the shooter is required to do what is proper by the instruction book, then, if the gun doesn't go off, it's an allowable malfunction. Leaving the gun on safe is a lost bird. I have automatic safeties, non automatic safeties, and no safeties. I don't shoot in competition with automatic safeties. They are a lost bird waiting to happen.

No, Bill. Forgetting to take the safety off is not an allowable gun malfunction. It is, however, a brain malfunction, which will get you a "0" on that bird on your scorecard, and rightly so IMO.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
So much fanfare is made over automatic safeties. I don't care for them and can't see why some think they are so important. If they are, why weren't they designed on semi-autos and pumps? And, don't tell me it couldn't be done.

If manufacturers put automatic safeties on pumps and semi-autos, the safety would engage after every cycle of the action. Nobody would want to have to disengage the safety between every shot. That would nullify the biggest reason people buy them. It would be less desirable than a fart in church.

I don't mind automatic safeties a bit. If you think about it, there are quite a number of safety mechanisms shooters have to deal with and quickly adapt to. Revolvers and single shots may have nothing. Flintlocks, percussion guns, and hammer guns rely upon half-cock. Pumps and semi-autos typically have the trigger block pushbutton in the trigger guard. Lever actions are made with or without hammer block safeties. What looks like a tang safety on a drilling may be the selector for the rifle barrel, which also raises the rear sight. Bolt rifles have several types too. The only real problem with any of them is when a shooter relies upon them as a substitute for safe gun handling.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Making safe, in armed forces around the world, means making sure there is no ammo in the gun and the hammer is down.

The nearest equivalent device in civilian terms is the German cocking safety, where pushing it forward compresses the main springs and pulling it back relaxes the springs. Almost all other safeties block trigger movement, leaving the hammers cocked.

Any system that blocks the triggers but leaves the main springs compressed is not a safety. In that context the word "safe" on a gun is a bit of a fraud. With hammers cocked it definitely isn't "safe" no matter what the button says.

Some people, including some very experienced hunters, think that putting a gun on "safe" uncocks the hammers. Renowned man eating tiger hunter Corbett is one of these. He writes how on one of his hunts his gun was on safe, for he "never carried a cocked gun", the gun in question being a boxlock SXS rifle that automatically self cocks on opening.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
If manufacturers put automatic safeties on pumps and semi-autos, the safety would engage after every cycle of the action. Nobody would want to have to disengage the safety between every shot.

JMO keith, but no way can I believe that Jonathan Browning could not have designed an automatic safety that would cycle to "SAFE" when the last round was ejected. I believe that it just wasn't an important issue for him. No more important then than it is today.

I'm in the camp that feels the only true safety is between the ears, ingrained training to put the gun on safe when needed.

Best to you.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

And that is precisely why I prefer not to rely on the automatic safety to render my gun "safe".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a huge aversion to them & one even finds them on hammerguns......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have posted this prior I believe, but I have a long time hunting buddy that use to use a Remington 1100 for waterfowl, as that was all we could afford. I believe it was in the 1980s and they were hunting in light mist that turned to sleet & worse. He had attempted to take a final shot @ a duck for departing but something in the action had frozen. He put the >>Safety<< on >>Safe<<. But later it was revealed that the scear had slipped past the juncture. So when he laid it in the floor of the Ford with the heater running, it went off putting a bulge in the passenger 1/4 panel or foot area, saving the life of a hunter that was taking off his waders on the other side.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.