March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 838 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have three doubles with automatic safeties and one with manual. I enjoy each of them and rarely have a problem remembering which I'm using. The manual safety is especially nice on a Ruffed Grouse covey where I've fired both barrels and I reload quickly and remount for a third shot. A third shot might happen a couple of times a season, but it's nice to be able to do it quickly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never had a problem using a gun with an automatic safety.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
In NSCA sporting clays competition a shooter is allowed three gun malfunctions, per round of 100, before the scorer is to call a target a lost bird.

Think about it for a minute. If your brain can be trained to push the safety off when needed, it can just as easily be trained to put it back on safe after the shot. It can also be trained to keep the trigger finger outside the triggerguard, resting alongside the bow, until the second before the shot. And, that is a proper safety, IMO.
[quote=Stanton Hillis]In NSCA sporting clays competition a shooter is allowed three gun malfunctions, per round of 100, before the scorer is to call a target a lost bird.

Yep.
I have always gone on-safe with ARs and 1911s after the shot or reload; I do the same with break-open guns.
If not in the act of firing, safety “on”. I’m hardwired to it and it’s automatic.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently purchased a Rizzini RB 28 bore and was surprised to see it had a non automatic safety. I was told by a guy at the club that is common on most O/U. Really?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, my two Browning Citori OUs and my Winchester 101 have manual safeties.
I think Beretta OUs generally have auto safeties.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
Mike, my two Browning Citori OUs and my Winchester 101 have manual safeties.
I think Beretta OUs generally have auto safeties.

Beretta O/U field guns have auto safeties.

Beretta O/U target guns have manual safeties.

The 680 series guns at least are convertible either way. The factory parts kit is the best way to do it.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally I find that kind of un-safe not being automatic. I have shot this little 28 bore at clays. I have no problem engaging the safety when I need to pull the trigger. I always heard from the sporting crowd that automatic safety was an issue as they made them miss a few target at the stand.
Years ago I was shooting my brother's Perazzi and when I was finished I put the safety back on. At the next station he did not check it and and was slow getting on the target. Boy did I get a mouth full!

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Shooting Sportsman, July-August issue arrived today. Ralph Stuart let himself be roped into making some ridiculous statements about automatic safeties after even more ridiculous statements were made by a letter writer who seems to be addressing readers who fired their first shots yesterday.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Kind of unsafe being not being automatic"? How many tens of millions of repeating shotguns are "kind of unsafe"? Maybe more than a few of us just fired our first shots yesterday. I would prefer that shooters familiarize themselves with the safety device on the gun in hand. There being at least ten different safety devices available to us, what would be our excuse to not be comfortable operating the device on our gun being used that day?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aldo Leopold ordered his double with no safety at all. Maybe because he knew how guns work and did not trust any safety.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.