March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Very, very nice Sam!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

"You can't say enough about fishing. Though the sport of Kings, it's just what the deadbeat ordered." Tom McGuane

Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Researcher
The fact that fly fishermen require waters restricted to fly only fishing has always seemed very elitist to me!!
Actually, we don't require such waters to enjoy fly fishing to the fullest but typically other methods of fishing can kill and maim a lot more fish than fly fishing ever will.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kill and maim. Please explain. Akin to Dave's statement, this one sounds elitist to me.

Do you mean killing fish without recovery, or do you include those who don't see the sense in catch and release, but for whom the catch becomes a meal? And what types of sport fishing maim moreso than fly fishing? And how?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
Sitting at my tying bench yesterday and found myself wondering, “What is it about fly rods and double guns?”

There sure seems to be an affinity between them and the sports they are tools of.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are likely kind of ugly. They are what they are.

Give a couple of muskrat hides and a big boar coon hnde for my first fly rod in the 60's. Rotted cat tippet with a straight leader.

Was in the Northern Tier of Pa. and Southern Tier of NY growing up. Although the growing up part could be debatable.

If you didn't shoot an Ithaca 37 or a Rem 870 back then you were considered some type of communist. But for league shooting at the clubs very few shot a SxS, or hunting. If they did you felt sorry for them because you knew they weren't going to hit anything. And seldom did.

Watched my youngest son shoot a 49 for high gun at the Owl league at Ithaca Gun Club ~15 years ago with a B. Rizzini. He won several shoots in Mn and Wi. and his name is engraved on plaques on the walls of quite a few clubs.

My FIL who has since passed away and I watched him shoot a 50x50 in a blizzard at Ithaca gun club. They gave him a 49 but he was still high gun. Had our pick and could have signed him up for Sayre which is actually in Athens Pa. but signed him up for Waverly NY. Just wanted to get him on the roster back then, many options although the Owl league has long since gone down the toilet drain.

Friend from Alaska and I were excited when we pulled into England before Desert Shield\Storm. The birthplace of Fly Fishing. We took our rods with us on deployment. And despite paying "per rod" was worth it.

A year later held him in my arms as he was dying. He could not talk, but his eyes.. Never will forget that as long as I live. Lungs may not allow you to talk but the eyes can scream at you. Honestly messed me up at the time but things worked up in the end.

Except for him. For a minute and a half I was paralyzed and that is an eternality in real world chit. It worked out in the end. But only by the Grace of God.

Haven't fly fished much since. Just can't bring myself to do it like I used to.

Yeah many of the city folks are waders only and did I mention City folks? But can roll cast or strip a line without waders if you are on the prowl for a fair lady. Without the city boy waders. And fishing slot limit trout from 12-14".

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Honestly I have a hard time fly fishing now. Would rather and do spend more time with the dogs getting ready for hunting birds.

I only use SxS guns for birds but that did not occur until I reached my 60's. There are a lot of factors involved in the maturation process.

In the mid 80's came around a bend on the Schrader and was pulling trout out with each cast. A kid ran up to me that was dunking worms in the pool upstream and asked me if I could teach him how do that. I said sure as long as he joined the Navy. He did. When I brought him home after enlisting at MEPS his father was sitting in full dress uniform on the porch. He ran over and opened the door and asked his son if he as a squid. His son said yes sir I am and proud of it.

After his son went in the house he looked me in the eye and said you SOB they nailed an anchor on the door of my office today. He was the CO of the Williamsport Army Reserve Center and a graduate of West Point.

No right or wrong IMO. It is what is IMO. Which is what you paid for it. Make the best of it and what works for you. Life is too short to be a City Boy, then again I have zero tolerance for them. Do what works for you. I have a couple of ugly sticks in the garage along with more than dozen fly rods. I do what ever it takes to catch fish. Or kill birds. Pointy dogs get the hell out of the way we are going in for the kill.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Second that on Islay, especially Lagavulin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I grew up in a two room house with no running water, well my mom said we had running water but it was me running out to the pump to bring a bucket in. We did have shotguns, long bows, flyrods and fine brandy(learned to like Islay later). I had a real special kind of dad and while we didn't have a lot of money he made sure we spent two weeks every year fishing northern WI and would pull us out of school in the fall for a week of bow hunting and it wasn't just when we got older the whole family went babies included.

Now a short 3wt travel rod resides on the MC, and there is an 8wt for bass bugs, 9wt for northern and musky streamers and 5wt for trout and panfish. Most of my fishing now is C&R except for large northerns for the table and I shoot carp with a bow for the smoker. I do use casting and spinning rods also, I do own one pump shotgun but it is for coyotes

One of my favorite pictures of dad.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by oskar; 06/12/21 09:43 AM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Every single person I've ever asked while chatting it up riverside with a fly rod in their hand usually grab only the fly rod now or at least the fly rod first. Those who have the patience and wherewithal tend to enjoy the beauty and skill of fly fishing. Those who don't, don't.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by oskar
I grew up in a two room house with no running water, well my mom said we had running water but it was me running out to the pump to bring a bucket in. We did have shotguns, long bows, flyrods and fine brandy(learned to like Islay later). I had a real special kind of dad and while we didn't have a lot of money he made sure we spent two weeks every year fishing northern WI and would pull us out of school in the fall for a week of bow hunting and it wasn't just when we got older the whole family went babies included.

Now a short 3wt travel rod resides on the MC, and there is an 8wt for bass bugs, 9wt for northern and musky streamers and 5wt for trout and panfish. Most of my fishing now is C&R except for large northerns for the table and I shoot carp with a bow for the smoker. I do use casting and spinning rods also, I do own one pump shotgun but it is for coyotes

That is a great post, oskar. Seriously.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by oskar

Your Dad knew how to wear a fedora.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
1 member likes this: Glacierjohn
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.