March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It’s all good, Stan.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Ted, looks like plenty of wood there to create the English grip and splinter. If there is a gap between the barrels there are a couple ways to close it. If the wood is proud, which it looks to be then inlet the forend iron a bit deeper, (preferred) or get some walnut veneer,(thin, like paper) and build the barrel channels up. Heck, your going it to hunt with it, right? As to finish you could use Formby's Tung oil low gloss, it's really not pure Tung oil, but it is tough and looks like an oil finish even if it's mostly poly? Looking forward to seeing the result!
Chief

1 member likes this: gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted: what you're contemplating is what I did to this circa 1970s Belgian 10 bore. It had a huge beavertail and a chunky pistol grip before I took a coping saw and a wood rasp to it. It was also cast way-off. I had it bent back to neutral and took it North for waterfowl. I even opened up the chokes so I could shoot the only commonly available ammo for it then, which was steel. It beat the hell out of me to shoot it (3 1/2-inch shells), but it was quite effective on geese and the occasional duck that came through...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Lloyd3; 06/16/21 11:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I to think reshaping the existing wood is the way to go. I've done it several time with a good outcome. Saw the biggest part of the fore end wood off and if there is a gap between the barrels and wood you can use the excess to fill the gap. Have someone weld a piece of cold rolled on the end of the trigger guard to make the tang look right. Later if you want to upgrade the wood you have a pattern already made.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not to put too fine a point on it, this is, literally a brand, new, Italian boxlock, perhaps 3 boxes of trap loads put down the tubes at my club, and a half dozen patterning loads at the same place. Me, myself, will not be taking a rasp to it, or, gluing anything on, anywhere. I doubt you can buy an Italian boxlock similar to this today, and if you could it would set you back thousands.

Thousands.

It was given to me on a snowy Thanksgiving Day when a hero from the second big war, who was a fixture at my table for a decade or so, made note that I like to hunt that day, and saw to it I didn’t have a good reason not to go. I have had few friends like him in my life.

I subscribe to Dewey Vicknair’s school of thought on this. The best work, or, don’t bother. If I do it, it might well end up at Vicknair’s place.

Dustin is probably right, the war is over, my friend is gone.

But, still, maybe not. Maybe not to me.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted: I get it, no comparison to that old 10 of mine. But....not nearly the utility it could have if left in it's current configuration. I suspect that when it's done (properly, of course) it should be the better way to honor your friend by carrying it afield (and not leaving it behind, which is why it's still so nice). And...since you are no-longer a "southpaw" (because of your recent retinal challenges), you can make it truly fit your new circumstances. For me, that would include opening the right choke tube up a smidgen (IC & IM are nearly perfection IMHO). In for a penny, in for a pound, eh?" Actually, it sounds like it could be a fun (and reasonable) project.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 06/16/21 09:02 PM.
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Ted, I've followed along for fun. If it's going off to a top smith, why not take a rasp to it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jmo, but that gun deserves to be left as is. It has a very nice pistol grip shape, and the beavertail is well-executed also. I just like it as-is. Terrific dove gun.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
2 members like this: LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are going to have new wood all around tell the stock maker you want to keep the old wood....

gunut
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
Hey Ted, I've followed along for fun. If it's going off to a top smith, why not take a rasp to it?

I have talent, just not with a rasp.

A man has got to know his limitations.

JR, you are the second to cast that vote. Might end up being the plan, although I have never killed a dove in my life. Grouse, pheasants and woodcock, although I usually let the little russet fellows go, unless the dog handles one superbly.

Lloyd, the gun fits pretty well off the right shoulder. But, you already know what stock configuration feels “right” for lack of a better term. I can play with ammunition to get the Mod right barrel to open up a bit, I’m sure of that.

I have talent, there.

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: LeFusil, John Roberts
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.