March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Sandlapper, Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Ted: what you're contemplating is what I did to this circa 1970s Belgian 10 bore. It had a huge beavertail and a chunky pistol grip before I took a coping saw and a wood rasp to it. It was also cast way-off. I had it bent back to neutral and took it North for waterfowl. I even opened up the chokes so I could shoot the only commonly available ammo for it then, which was steel. It beat the hell out of me to shoot it (3 1/2-inch shells), but it was quite effective on geese and the occasional duck that came through...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Looks good, Lloyd. That is a mighty nice pad you put on it. I'd like to get my hands on a few of those, but they're scarce as hen's teeth, now.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan: That was the pad it came with. I'm hearing those Jostam's are getting hard to find now. You'd think someone like Tony Galazan would re-pop them sometime? Don't have that 10 anymore BTW. All that factory 1510 fps steel loosened her up a bit (Heck, it loosened me up a bit too!) so I sent it on down the road. Shooting a lefty 870 in 12 on waterfowl now. Much easier to live with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, you keep saying it’s a really nice gun worth thousands in replacement, given to you from a person you respected.
It sounds like you’re about 3/4 of the way of talking yourself into leaving as-is.
I know that’s what I’d do.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
Ted, you keep saying it’s a really nice gun worth thousands in replacement, given to you from a person you respected.
It sounds like you’re about 3/4 of the way of talking yourself into leaving as-is.
I know that’s what I’d do.

At the very least, the gun needs a clean and strip, and the auto safety dismantled. I actually could do that myself, but, I think I would send it to a ‘Smith and listen to his thoughts. A good ‘smith could very likely rasp that pistol grip off, and perhaps refit the front wood.
That, I can’t do, or, don’t want to do to a virtually new gun.

As a Texan, I suspect you haven’t fired many rounds at departing Ruffed grouse. Most of my hunting revolves around that hunting, and my requirements are more to game gun configuration. I’m not trying to be insulting, just point out that the different configuration works out better in my circumstances. It would be OK, as is, for pheasant hunting. JR thinks it is a dove gun, could be, I’ve never killed a dove in my life, and don’t see starting now.

I doubt the gun is worth thousands. Highly doubt it. But, it would take that to replace it with something new, in the correct configuration. I wouldn’t feel bad putting some money into it to make it mine, but that number wouldn’t be thousands.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since you asked . . .

I took a gun refinishing class some years ago, and took my grandfather's rifle with me as a possible project. This is the rifle he taught me to shoot with, and left to me when he died. It looks like it spend its life outdoors, sun bleached lighter on the right side from lying bolt-handle up on the package shelf of a Ford coupe. The teacher persuaded me to leave it alone, because it wouldn't remind me of my grandfather if I made it look new. So, I left it as is and take it hunting a few times a year.

If your friend had hunted that gun, especially with you, I would have to vote to leave it alone. Since he didn't like it the way it is either, I see no reason not to make it the way you want it.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a bad dilemma to be in Ted. Your friend gave you a very nice 20a and sorry to hear of his passing. WWII Vets are getting far and few between now. FWIW, I'd leave it alone too. The sentimental guns passed down from family either work as is or are left alone. Its only the guns I purchase for use, that get restocked or tinkered with in any way. Best shooting with it from across the aisle.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Carl46
Since you asked . . .

I took a gun refinishing class some years ago, and took my grandfather's rifle with me as a possible project. This is the rifle he taught me to shoot with, and left to me when he died. It looks like it spend its life outdoors, sun bleached lighter on the right side from lying bolt-handle up on the package shelf of a Ford coupe. The teacher persuaded me to leave it alone, because it wouldn't remind me of my grandfather if I made it look new. So, I left it as is and take it hunting a few times a year.

If your friend had hunted that gun, especially with you, I would have to vote to leave it alone. Since he didn't like it the way it is either, I see no reason not to make it the way you want it.

This is a great comment and nicely sums up my view on the change/leave it alone issue.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Thank you for all the comments. Strip and clean will fall to me, and after that I am going to busy myself with shooting it this summer, and playing at the patterning board. Maybe it was Skeetex who said you should use a gun for a year before you screw with it, but, whoever, it was sound advice. I’ll see what I can do with it, as is. It is a new gun, sound as a dollar used to be, without problems related to heavy use, lack of maintenance, careless ownership or any of the other bedevilments that beset us with these relics. I will use it.

The white line spacers are jarring, no? Would anyone object to eliminating the two of them?

Best,
Ted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
The white line spacers are jarring, no? Would anyone object to eliminating the two of them?

Best,
Ted.
You have my unfailing support to do that, Ted. Black Sharpie on the pad spacer?
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 06/22/21 11:39 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
Black Sharpie on the pad spacer?

Precisely what I did on the SKB 200E I mentioned earlier.

No objection, Ted. smile

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.