March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mike325 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello, what have u guys used to help protect traditional color case hardened receivers?

I was thinking of using a poly type car wax (not a cleaner wax or abrasive wax, just a poly coating like meguiers next wax 2.0), rennasaince wax, or eezox (a clp that is good for protecting bluing resists acid fingerprints and is excellent in preventing rust). I read somewhere that carnuba wax should not be used but have no idea if that is accurate or not.

Any ideas?

I have a couple guns I'm interested in protecting one is a 1913 gun which has traditional case hardening and the other a 1970s gun which I assume is a chemical type of case hardening plus varnish but I don't really know on that one.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mike325; 06/17/21 02:32 PM.
1 member likes this: Woodreaux
Sidelock
Sidelock

spray lacquer.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

The late Oscar Gaddy, an authority on case coloring, recommended Behlen's spray lacquer to protect the surface.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Formby’s Tung Oil commonly found at any big box hardware store. Clean action with acetone or alcohol and using a 3/8” camel hair brush apply liberally but not enough to run. Oil self smooths and dries within a day in a dry climate. Maybe two for a more humid environment. Formby’s has so little solids in it that when dry only a very thin coat remains and does not fill engraving cuts. Easily removed with alcohol or acetone. Be sure none of the solvents touch the wood finish. By far the best and most attractive finish I’ve ever seen. I also use the same process on damascus barrels. Would really brighten blued steel barrels too.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep the gun while not in use out of direct strong sunlight, UV does have a tendency to bleach out the co lours over time. so if you want to apply some form of coating try to find one with some UV protection. Though at this point I would like to add one of my pet hates "Case Co lours " and the percentage thereof on a gun is just one other method of the gun trade to wring more cash out of the second user gun purchaser.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.