March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, earlyriser, Gunning Bird), 497 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ivanhoe is groing through 50 years of UK gun auction catalogs he's kept...over a thousand, looking for Reilly's for my comprehensive Reilly SN database and for interesting pin-fires. One of the Reilly's he forwarded from a 1974 catalog turned out to be SN 35423, one of Cyril Adams' pigeon guns and now well known over here. Here are his comments - truly a lost golden age in gun sales:

"I'm now in 1976 Weller & Dufty catalogues, and it's a revelation! I'd not looked at this era for 40 years! The huge volume of stuff going through every 5 weeks, was awesome! The number of lots over the two day sales was around 1300.....putting the "high-class" London salerooms to shame. From 1974 to where I am at the moment, sees very large numbers of "Best" British double rifles, as well as shotguns! It's slowing me down, as I feel compelled to read through all the descriptions, as avidly as I did 45 years ago! The two catalogers really knew their stuff, and it's fairly obvious where some of the London based "experts" got their ideas from!"

edit: Sorry I missed this line where Ivanhoe contributed:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...at&Number=595178&nt=2&page=1

Last edited by Argo44; 06/26/21 04:11 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I Have 30 0r so catalogues from this era. My principal interest being vintage hammer guns the following catalogues were of special importance.
Christie's The Yannaghas Collection.Dec,1 1998.
Shared this catalogue info with Stephen Nash ,due to the fact that it contained pictures and descriptions of 10 superb Pinfire guns. Top seller in this auction was a double barrel pinfire rifle by John Dickson, sold for7475 pounds.
The other collections of note, was that Sold by;
Christies on 20 March 2002 .This catalogue Contained parts of the Emil Rosner And Geoffrey Boothroyd collection.
Notable in the Rosner collection, was lot 267a 20 bore Boss pin fire shot gun lot,196, said to be the earliest known Boss shot gun. It sold for 4112 pounds.
Over the past 60 years I have acquired auction catalogues from most UK auction house, I still refer to the 30 catalogues that I retained.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 06/28/21 03:16 PM. Reason: typo

Roy Hebbes
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For a historian trying to compile a database of serial numbers and gun types for a lost UK gunmaker, to try to recreate the records and date the guns, these catalogs are a bonanza. It's a shame there isn't some sort of central record for them which can be accessed. For instance UK newspapers for several centuries can be accessed at this site and key word searched:
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

I'm wondering if the people scanning the newspapers would be interested in so scanning these catalogs. Obviously the technology exists.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.