April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (earlyriser, SKB), 177 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,705
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Westley Richards inscription is not shown in any of the pictures.
Both barrel and action have German & British proofs.
Looks like someone poorly bedded the metal.
Per Jon Speed's s/n list, if this is an Oberndorf commercial action it would have been produced in 1913, which doesn't match either date on the action. (??)
There were no pictures of the bottom metal.

If you right click and open the pic in another tab you can then zoom for a closer look.

This is the auction house description.
Mauser model 1904 in 7mm with a five round capacity and a 25.5" barrel. This rifle has been "Sporterized" with a new Monte Carlo style stock and the mid barrel sights removed. Red Head brand rubber butt pad. Solid wood checkered one piece stock. Blued bolt, receiver, barrel, magazine floor plate and trigger. Pacific brand adjustable peep hole sight. Front fixed blade brass bead sight. All visible parts with matching serial numbers. Ports in the stock for mounting hardware for a shoulder strap. Rear of bolt safety switch. Left side of receiver bolt release. Marked with Nitro Proofs on the barrel. Marked on the receiver "Waffenfabrik Mauser A.-G. Obendorf A/N 1907 BV". Marked on the top of barrel "Westley Richards & Co London 7M/M Nitro Proof BP BV NP 36938".

[Linked Image from p1.liveauctioneers.com]

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

If this is a commercial Mauser action, it should have the Mauser serial number on the bottom of the action near the recoil lug and on the back of the magazine box. It would be good to check if they match the visible numbers and if not, check that number against the Speed list. If they don't match, that means the visible number is the Westly Richards number.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why do you think it is a WR rifle? The action is marked, the stock checkering isn't correct, and the sling eye or stock oval near the stock butt isn't correct.

Ken

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KDGJ
Why do you think it is a WR rifle? The action is marked, the stock checkering isn't correct, and the sling eye or stock oval near the stock butt isn't correct.

Ken

Marked on the top of barrel "Westley Richards & Co London"

Also, question mark in the subject line indicate a question, not a statement.

Mike
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It is not the original stock to that rifle, look at the loading port cut out. Nothing on the gun looks Westley to me, none of the signature features Westley used.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
It is not the original stock to that rifle, look at the loading port cut out. Nothing on the gun looks Westley to me, none of the signature features Westley used.

Agreed. Likely why the poor bedding job.
The metal is what I am most hopeful for.

That said, no picture of the barrel inscription is a concern.
If it is done with "Engraving Pen", my question will be answered.

If that is the case, then I will likely part it out.

Mike
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Looks like an intermediate action with commercial proofs, always appealing and not that easy to find.

I ended up converting an intermediate length Rigby pattern stock to standard length recently, I had a nice standard length action on hand and did not have the urge to hunt up an intermediate.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

It strikes me as just a neat hunting rifle. If it started life as a WR, it has lost many of its salient WR features and gained four extra d/t'ed holes in the receiver, an aftermarket re-stocking (with attendant poorly inletted sight base), and what is to me suspect bottom metal. Did WR utilize military trigger guards with the alternate sling hole in the front of the bow, without re-contouring same?

If I'm not mistaken, Pacific sight products didn't appear until well after WR would have purportedly built it.

If bore condition were pristine I could be interested in it as a shooter/hunter if it were cheap enough to at least edge out a Remington 700 or something of that ilk. First stop, replace the ventilated pad with a solid one, then take to the woods with it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hopefully no one thought I believed I found some wonderful jewel of a WR.

Have bought and sold hundreds of Mauser sporting rifles. From basic Bubba built rifles to some really nice customs, even a few by "names" in the field.
Also disassembled and parted out dozens of others.
Have also built a few of my own.

Along the way I have become attuned to the history and when something like this pops up for a "reasonable" price I'll pick it up.
Pull them apart, examine the quality of the work then decide what to do.

Things like the trigger guard don't bother me. Easily replaced or an hours work(not including blacking) will have it looking very "Oberndorf".
The stock is a mess and unattractive to my eye. I have many on hand to replace it, though none of what would be the proper design for an English rifle of this era.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Looks like an intermediate action with commercial proofs, always appealing and not that easy to find.

Missed this earlier.
When I clicked in it took me to the post after yours.

Intermediate would be nice!
FN 1924 Mexican actions bring good money.
An clean, unpitted Oberndorf intermediate would bring excellent money.

Mike
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.