March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It is getting harder to find nice mausers, I scored one this winter for a steal. Looking for a nice standard length Oberndorf right now to build a .300 H&H on.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

SKB,

Good eye on the length.

From NitroExpress.com

kuduae wrote:
The Mauser Modell 1904 was a short- lived Mauser Export military rifle in 7x57. Both Colombia and China bought some. It was built on the same intermediate length action as the Turkish 1903, the Peruvian 1909 as well as most pre-WW2 commercial sporters in 7x57 aka .275 Rigby.

As the receiver shows contemporary Oberndorf BU civilian proofmarks, it was originally delivered from the factory as a type C Army hunting rifle. Those humble sporters were often built on rejected or leftover military parts and keep military markings and serial numbers. As Rigby was the sole official Mauser importer in the early 1900s, other British gunmakers like Westley-Richards circumvented the monopoly. Often they bought complete military rifles through the international arms trade and tore them down for the actions. But there was a black market too for actions and parts smuggled out of the German factories, government arsenals as well as DWM. But more likely W-R here merely reworked a humble model C and sold it as an economy sporter.

Much later the barreled action was modified. The bolt handle was bent back, the action drilled for scope mounts, open rear sight removed and the Pacific receiver peep sight put on. Finally the barreled action was mounted in the orphaned stock of another Mauser actioned rifle. This stock was originally for a standard length action. Look at the right side photos: the ejection/ loading port cutout of the stock is too long for the shorter intermediate action. So the longer receiver ring overhangs this cutout to the rear by about 5 mm. These alterations were most likely done post-WW2 in the USA.

Wish I could help you with an Oberndorf standard length.
Only have one at the moment, but it was sold to the trade and does not have the side rail markings.
It is also a complete rifle.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Before starting my threads I emailed WR via their website, but honestly didn't expect a reply.

Dear Mr. Shotgunner

Thank you for your email and details of the early Mauser based Westley Richards rifle that you have. We have very little information on rifles from this serial number range, however I can confirm that the rifle was built circa 1908.

I hope that this information is of interest to you.

Yours sincerely

Anthony Alborough-Tregear

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rifle arrived and some observations.

Bore is a mirror.
Military pattern bottom metal is number matching.
S/N polished off bolt root when handle was modified but the "B & U" proof marks remain on the bottom. Firing pin, extractor, shroud and safety are matching.

The modification were done a long, long time ago.
The bedding compound seen next to the barrel and action(looks like Acraglas) is a "patch" for all the material that had flaked and fallen out. I cannot identify the material that was used to bed it originally.
Material is yellow in places, red, and brown in others.
Pad is a classic "Red Head".
Quick connect sling swivels are marked "King Pat. Pend." so not purchased out of the latest Brownells catalog. wink

Rear ring is not drilled and tapped. The barrel D&T. From the marks in the blacking, it was fitted with small bases for an externally adjustable scope.
I will probably install filler screws, but I do have bin drawer full of old bases and a couple of Litchert scopes. May mount one up.

For now though, it gets a place in the rack.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is my Westley Richards 9X57, refinished by Lon Paul a number of years ago:
[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds[/img]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.