March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, SKB, Little Creek, 2 invisible), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#599201 07/07/21 01:12 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

after several attempts, i have spoken for my first lefever shotgun....i have visited the LACA site and gleaned a good deal of related information from the archived information here. gun has been offered on gb for some time now, and the seller has responded to my questions and requests for additional photos, etc. will be pleased to have the gun in hand, and to read what comments might be posted...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902323891 https://imgur.com/a/IfLsfb6

best regards,
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

What does he mean by "There is a bit of solder on the rear of the barrels."?

What are the bore measurements?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like a good one for the price you paid. Remember all Lefever guns are antiques so if you break something fixing it will require some expertise. My first one was a G grade and I've had it since the mid 90's, and still shoot it. Enjoy your new gun...Geo

Recoil Rob #599228 07/08/21 01:20 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Recoil Rob
What does he mean by "There is a bit of solder on the rear of the barrels."?

You can see it in Photo no. 8

The short rear section of the top rib apparently lifted, and was soldered back down without correctly cleaning the excess solder around the joint. It makes you wonder if the job was done well, insofar as the actual soldering and materials used... or if it might fail again. It appears that the stock was refinished, but it has some nice fiddleback figure.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 10,000 range E Lefever with solder overflow in the same place, maybe from a repair. I can't imagine the extension rib coming loose, but I guess that's what happened. Except for my gun, yours is the first I've seen with that situation. I've never cleaned mine up, but it should be fairly simple. It's probably not soft solder.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

the seller says his principal interest is black powder rifles, and that he has had the F grade since the mid 80's....at which time he shot the gun using commercial bp shells imported by navy arms. stated that other than the questionable resolder job on the rear portion of the rib, and a coat of varnish on the stock, he believes the gun is original and largely well kept - those changes were present when he got the gun. he does not have means of measuring bores, but says they are clean, i asked about weight and he estimated it as around 8#. based on several texts and a reasonable phone conversation, i decided i would roll the dice....

i have never actually seen one of the pivot lever lefevers, and am intrigued by the similarity to the westley richards top bolt design...as i say, it will be my first lefever in 45 years of interest in guns. in years past i was pretty active re: gun shows, but for the past 20 or so have not followed them with any real enthusiasm...last trip to tulsa in 2003 - and local shows are more useful for visiting than for seeing anything of genuine interest to me. based on my limited experience i suspect that this part of the country never had a significant number of lefevers to begin with. i have been quietly looking for one for years now, and have come to the realization that i'm not going to find one "in person".

based on my research, i see this is a two hook gun from the era (1890-91?) when all the adjustments were present. several adjusting screws show evidence of "poor screwdriver behavior", and i think i understand the function of all of them - except for one. my research shows just a few guns that have a single screw located inside the patent script on the floor plate....can someone explain the purpose of that screw?

i own and shoot a few 19th century guns, and am fairly well versed in the practical limitations regarding pressures and shell lengths....i assume this gun was built for 2 & 5/8 shells. after i measure the bores and chambers, i will have a better idea of what i am dealing with. as always i appreciate the insights that are offered here.

best regards,
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.