March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Roundsworth, Argo44, RWG, 3 invisible), 352 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

but, if you build my extra bbl set im offering, it wont effect the original bbl set up. want to change chokes on the gun? just change bbls, like a typical 2 bbl set is meant to do.
see mine here...........

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

But….. there’s literally oodles of field grade model 12’s out there….they’re not collectors items, they were meant to be hunted and used.
I 100% support not altering a rare graded gun. Field grades are just that, meant for the field.

Having an additional barrel set fitted would be ideal, I agree. But sometimes it’s just not very practical (cost, parts availability, etc). The most economical and practical way to get that gun killing birds is to alter the choke for its intended purpose. Whether that means cutting a new choke, installing thin walls, etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

mine is uncut and marked cyl from the factory. unlike most that are cut off fulls, that become cyl. and, my extension is unserialized. he can match it by number to his gun. his is a 52 and mine is a 55, so roll marks will be proper. sure, we arent talking collector guns, but itll be close and we are talking practical. wake up, decide what bbl, go hunt, come home. it would be a interesting set up...unlike most that are butchered already with screw in chokes and soldered on gizmos. we shall see if lloyds friend knows or will appreciate a unique set up opportunity when he sees it. hope he does.
the owner can swap takedown bbls faster than screwing in a screw in choke. the polychoke inventor learned this and challenged cutts with a faster product back in the day, and did well.
seems lately, the world has gone back to the cumbersome screw in/on method forgetting history. or lest we forget...leaving the wrong choke in during a hunt, leaving the right choke 5 miles back in the truck, bringing the wrong gauge choke, forgetting the wrench, or dropping it in the pond, making desperate hunters shoot without a choke in the bbl ruining the threads, having to soak the bbl in solvent to get it out after years of use, or shooting a loose choke and blowing the end of the bbl off. need I go on? let me know lloyd. thanks for the pm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bobski
making desperate hunters shoot without a choke in the bbl ruining it. need I go on?

No, maybe you should actually back up. It's obvious to me that you have no actual experience with having done this this. I have, and my friend shot a Beretta Extrema all one afternoon in Cordoba, Argentina with no choke tube in place, intentionally. He was put on a stand that placed him in very close proximity to the doves, and didn't have a CYL tube with him. He killed over 1000 doves that afternoon. I cleaned the plastic out of his choke threads in just a few minutes with a bore brush. No damage at all. Don't you think 1200-1300 shells, without cleaning the threads, would have caused a problem if you were right?

Oh, and lest you think it was a foolhardy decision to do so, he is the owner of CompNChoke, and knows his way around barrels. He has threaded hundreds of older barrels for choke tubes, and cut off and re-threaded dozens where customers had blown the tube out by letting it get slack. He knows what ruins barrels, and what doesn't. And, I've also seen this done on a close rabbit target on the clays course many times, with no ill effects.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

.......non-concentric installation of choke threads to bore line, non-concentric choke by design, dissimilar metal corrosion, alloy metal fatigue ..............

nope, id go with a 70 year old gun mated to a 70 year old bbl, designed by Winchester employees from a bygone era with proven fixed chokes any day.

ok, take care guys. see you in another 2 years if someone calls me back. I found other sites to hang out in.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Good grief. It’s a discussion board and we’re discussing viable options. Each point was valid. There’s no 1 answer for everything. Where is gets annoying is when someone comes along and says “this is the ONLY way” or “if you don’t do it MY way your a ham fisted clod and a ignorant gun butcher”.
That’s ridiculous. Especially when we’re talking about a gun like a field grade, non collectible model 12 that someone wants to shoot ruffed grouse with. If someone ever had the stones to tell me that I butchered my model 12 by opening a choke….I’ll just send them pictures of piles of dead birds along with a pic of my middle finger. Guns happy it’s getting used, and I’m happy it’s working the way I want it to. Win win.

Take your ball and go, if that’s what you want to do. No hard feelings here.

Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Thank you all for the unfailingly deep insight provided on the subject. I have armed my friend with the pros and cons of his many options for his inherited Model 12. I would be concerned about the fitting of the second set of barrels as well, but this individual is quite competent in that regard. Considering the time and trouble involved, I'd likely just buy a new CZ Bobwhite G2 in 20 gauge and have the triggers tuned as part of the warranty. You'd only spend maybe $200 more and have yet another option in your arsenal, but that's me and my biases.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 07/09/21 01:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

theres enough utubes around showing its process. any smart guy with insight to guns can figure it out. Lloyd, double check our pm's and stay in touch via email. im deleting my bookmark again. cheers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You girls need to get over it....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bobski
.......non-concentric installation of choke threads to bore line, non-concentric choke by design, dissimilar metal corrosion, alloy metal fatigue ..............

nope, id go with a 70 year old gun mated to a 70 year old bbl, designed by Winchester employees from a bygone era with proven fixed chokes any day.

ok, take care guys. see you in another 2 years if someone calls me back. I found other sites to hang out in.

I notice no addressing of your claim of ruining a barrel by shooting it without a choke tube in place. No matter, I guess you won't read this anyway.

OBTW, if you do drop back in for a read, thanks for your service in Naval Aviation. I enjoyed the pictures on your blog. I was in a VA squadron myself, ATKRON 205 (USNR). So, we do have a little in common.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.