March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, KDGJ, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Parabola,
Regarding Edwinson Green, it does not.

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dear Steve

Thanks for checking.

When I admired a 20 bore Edwinson Green Sidelock Ejector in East Grinstead Guns some years ago I looked in the records up for them.

It was made in 1919 and the notes indicated that it was the first gun completely made in Cheltenham (at least by them- there were other Cheltenham gunmakers in the mid 19th century).

On the other hand a pre First World War pair of Boxlock ejectors is noted as “stocked and finished in Cheltenham”.

It seems likely that with post war re-organisation they either brought their tooling and machinery down from Birmingham, or perhaps bought in equipment from firms that had in the past been their suppliers in the trade.

Unfortunately it is likely to remain mostly guesswork and is now well outside any living memory.

Again many thanks

Parabola

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd you would be sick at the prices for text books these days. $50.00 for a paper back is cheap for them and to me this is a better text book.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not an outrageous price these days for a book with such a small target audience.

Mass market paperbacks are $15 and their hard cover equivalents are $28 and up. I've switched to a Kindle for new & recent books partly due to cost and mostly that I am running out of room to keep all my actual books. I expect more and more books will no longer be published in paper leaving only coffee table style books or books with lots of illustrations and pictures like the 'British Gunmakers'.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
AlanD Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The book arrived yesterday, its 250 pages including the index.

A few things its not. It is not a detailed history of individual Birmingham gunmakers, nor is it a book which covers the mechanics of shotguns or their inventors patents. Rather it is a treatise about the the gun trade in Birmingham through various periods in time, with individual gunmakers being mentioned as examples, in places. It does have a large listing at the back of the book of 2346 gunmakers in Birmingham and a further 428 ancillary tradesmen operating in the Black Country. This list has been complied - somewhat painstakingly I would imagine - from a number of journals, directories and parish archives. It covers the period from 1660 to 1960.

The author worked at the Birmingham Central Library for about 30 years and this shows in his writing as the book is very thoroughly researched. There is much information in the book that will not be found elsewhere. This includes a number of tables showing how many gunmaking firms were in Birmingham at various times and details of locations.

When I get a new reference book I always read the bibliography and references at the back of the book, as these can lead to the location of original source research materiel. These are listed and show where some of the tables come from, which in some cases are PhD dissertations, written in the 1950's and 1960's.

On page 108 there is a table showing the number of gunmaker plants in Birmingham in 1949 and the number of workers in various bands, 1-9, 10-24 and so on. In the final column for the 4 firms employing over 200 people the table gives the total number of workers as 84. This is a typo and the figure is 2209. The figure 84 is in fact a percentage,meaning that in 1949 of the gunmking firms in Birmingham 84% worked for one of the big 4 firms. Although not named these would have to be, Webley & Scott, WW Greener, BSA, and Parker Hale. There is a caveat to this mentioned in the book and that is a lot of very small operations employing only a handful of men are not included. I am trying to get a copy of the dissertation that these statistics came from to get a better handle on it.

So if you are interested in the British gun trade as an entity I would recommend this book.

Regards

Alan David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the update. Still awaiting my copy. My main reason is that it goes back in time farther than most of my books on Gunmakers and therefore a useful reference work. Lagopus…..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.