March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ken Nelson, Dan S. W., Marc Ret, SKB, 1 invisible), 796 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a few break top projects, both single and sxs, that are rattle traps. I have seen videos of how the hook, rear of the barrels, and bolt require attention for repairs. Is there a sequence to inspect and or repair that should be followed to insure a complete repair is accomplished. And what gap measurements should an inspection include for barrels that are off-face or loose at the water table. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Sidelock
Sidelock

if lower value guns try some shim stock [feeler gage strips] wrapped around the hinge pin.....wrap the shim around a nail....to get it tightly round then snap it on the pin....that should do it....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some say a shim cut from a beer can works.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gunut/Joe-I appreciate the input for shimming the barrel hook to tighten the barrels.

As a gunsmith enthusiast would barrel movement from forward to back mean the barrels are off face (needing shimmed or rejoined) and movement up and down would be pertain to the lock-up or bite of the action? So the bite would need attention and if so how would this be done?

Sidelock
Sidelock

About the only ways I know to repair a worn bolt is to either have a new bolt made and fitted or to weld up the old bolt and refit it. Shims just don't work on bolts.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
About the only ways I know to repair a worn bolt is to either have a new bolt made and fitted or to weld up the old bolt and refit it. Shims just don't work on bolts.

Mr. Wood, I don't doubt what you posted, but I've always had my off face guns repaired by shimming or welding the hook. Is there any reason that should not work?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the bolt lug interface is worn enough you can have what you think is fine go back off face within only a few shots. I had a Husky hammer gun that was loose and fixed it twice working just on the hook. The third time I addressed the bolt lock in addition to that and it is still on face after 6 years and was my primary target gun 2 years and the kid I sold it to hasn't babied it. All the parts of the system need to be right to keep it tight and functioning as designed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

George, I was addressing a worn bolt, not a worn hook. Hooks I usually have had welded and refit. I have also used shims with mixed results.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes a good strip and clean will help with the bolt depending how well it was maintained

Sidelock
Sidelock

Often a gun will go off face on the right barrel first, because it is typically shot so much more. Especially a gun that digests heavy hunting loads. I have had good results with shimming in a situation like that, where the bolting is still good. I often try first a tiny rectangle of HVAC aluminum tape. What I have seen measures .003", and has it's own adhesive on it to keep it in place. I put it on the hook. It won't last much over 150-200 shots before needing replacing, but will give an indication of how much may be needed to bring the gun back on face, and is quick and easy to replace. If you find that .003" is about right you can go to a more permanent shim, or even have the hook welded and refitted. Be aware that there is at least one well known doublegun 'smith who decries welding the hook. He has stated that in most situations the hinge pin should be replaced with an oversized one, then the hook refitted to it. A little research will show which 'smith that is, then you can decide whether you agree with him or not.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.