March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian Forrester), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of the problems appear to be associated with bottlenecked cases. Seems to be OK in mild loads in straight or tapered cases.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have used it in 308, 30-06, and a couple of other bottlenecks. No issues.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it possible that the properties of AA 5744 have changed over time?
I have read somewhere (sorry, I do not have the details ready) that the AA powders originally where imported from Czech Republic.
At some time (sorry, don´t know when) Accurate stopped that and sourced their powders elsewhere.
Since then, the company Explosia in Pardubice, Czech Republic is selling their powders under their own Lovex brand.
Lovex DO60 is said to be the same as the AA 5744 originally produced by Explosia.
Any comments?
fuhrmann

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The current version is, according to AA/Hodgdon, made in Canada.

What I've quoted from them is current on their website.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

iI have always been very leery of reduced loads since one resulted in the only serious accident I have ever had reloading. That was in the spring of 1960 and I was due to report to officers' training at Marine Corps Schools, Quantico immediately after graduation. I was used to shooting varmint rifles and had never shot anything as powerful as a .30-'06, so I decided to accustom myself to the recoil using cast bullets and fast burning powder. The phone rang while I was in the midst of charging a loading block full of primed cases and somehow, when I returned from answering the call, I managed to get a double load into five cases and no powder at all into five other ones. I survived, and so did the rifle, albeit with increased headspace. Since then, I have always used a flashlight to check each case to reassure myself that there was a correct load in every case. (I qualified as "Expert" with the M1 rifle that summer.)

I have been using AA 5744 for a number of years and carefully following the instructions from the manufacturer about reduced loads: I fill the case up with powder to the base of the bullet, then weigh the powder, multiply the weight by .4 and use the result as my reduced load. I have never had even the slightest problem. I use the loads primarily to practice rapid fire standing, unsupported, which was a useful position more than once in Africa. Since I now have to shoot left handed, due to a problem with my right eye, I'm teaching a new set of muscles how to behave.

Once, while hunting on a private ranch in Kenya, we came upon a pack of Cape hunting dogs which had just killed an impala inside the six foot game fence which surrounded the property. My PH, who was also the ranch manager's brother in law, asked me if I minded shooting a few and I complied with his request. The upshot was, I emptied my Model 70 Winchester and killed four with five shots. Only one of the shots was not a running shot. This was in the fall of 1971, when hunting was still legal in Kenya.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I load 5744 in reduced charges in my Mauser .404 Jeffery with gas checked cast lead bullets.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had good results using #5744 for medium powered 30-06 and .308W loads with gas-checked cast lead bullets. Large pistol primers seem to produce better accuracy.

As mentioned earlier, take care not to 'double-charge' these rifle cartridges.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to read this. I recently loaded minimum loads of 5744 with 400 grain cast bullets for practice rounds in my .404 Jeffery. I have almost 2 lbs. on had to practice loads in my .404 and my .375 H&H. These are a GM DSB '98 Mauser (new) and Win M70 (also new). Should I be greatly alarmed or is this a tempest in a tea cup?

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Chukarman
I hate to read this. I recently loaded minimum loads of 5744 with 400 grain cast bullets for practice rounds in my .404 Jeffery. I have almost 2 lbs. on had to practice loads in my .404 and my .375 H&H. These are a GM DSB '98 Mauser (new) and Win M70 (also new). Should I be greatly alarmed or is this a tempest in a tea cup?

You should be greatly alarmed... if you are prone to being careless during reloading, and likely to double charge your cases. Otherwise, it appears that approved and tested 5744 loads are quite safe. In today's environment of lawsuits for every little thing, it seems very unlikely that published data for 5744 loads would even be printed if it was questionable.

There are many very safe loads for many cartridges that utilize powders that could easily be double-charged, or even quadruple-charged for that matter. Think of the hundreds of millions of 148 gr. target loads in .38 Special that used around 2.8 grs. of Unique for example. The capacity of a .38 Special case is 23.4 grs. of water. The lesson here is to be extra careful with any load that can be double-charged. The advice to avoid distractions while reloading, and to visually check every charged case before bullet seating is vitally important. When the forensic analysis of a firearm blow-up points to a probable double charge, the guy who made the mistake seldom wishes to admit he simply screwed up. The blame is then frequently placed upon the powder, the components, or the heat-treatment of the firearm.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.