March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, LGF, SKB), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One-half ounce of 9s will remove the head forthwith ........... good enough for me. So, not totally useless.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Only reason I have any at all is that a reloading buddy found them so useless to him that he gave me three bags. That'll kill a lot of snakes at 1/2 oz. per load. One bag is being slowly used up that way. The other two are riding in the left side of my Allison to help balance the weight when I'm driving it with no passenger. Nines seem to work quite well for that.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good snake is a dead snake for 99% of them..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by 28 gauge shooter

People have different ideas about killing snakes. Scientists tell us that the snakes do more good than bad by controlling other vermin and should not be killed. Some snakes are protected. I am kind of ambivalent about it; I usually walk around a rattler or moccasin while turkey hunting, but I'll kill one on sight in a dove field or anywhere around my home. I don't harm non-venomous snakes if I can help it....Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill Hanus was a big fan of #9 for pheasant and other birds inside of 30 yards. Claims the sectional density "shock" kills them and the small pellets would penetrate head and neck while not penetrating feathers into the body. Charles "Nick" Hammack who developed the DR16 wad with Kevin at Downrange also says the same thing for phez in SD. They both claim light loads of 9 shot at high velocity do the trick best. Personally I want an oz. and a quarter of #5 @1200 fps on my November and later pheasants in SD. Bird numbers aren't what they used to be and only have so many days to hunt. I'm not going to pass on shooting at a bird that is "out of range" because I brought a knife to a gunfight. The dogs work too hard for that to happen.

Not a fan of 9 shot for either feathers or clays.

Originally Posted by DAM16SXS
Stan, regarding downrange energy and depth of penetration with 9's...

I used to shoot Skeet with both 8's an d 9's but in the colder months the 9's just didn't have it every time I hit a clay. I don't know if the clay targets get harder in the cold or if the powder didn't have enough oomph because of the cold, but I never had that problem with 8's.

I've never used 9's for hunting and I gave up shooting it entirely back then when I had poor results at Skeet.

I'm with you and yes cold makes a difference. Not only harder but the targets that sit through freeze and thaw cycles get "punky" as they absorb moisture on the thaw cycle and 9 shot will go through them without breaking them. I went to 8 shot for skeet after my first couple of years in Mn. Even for 16 yard trap in the winter 8's will often just get dust off clays in the winter but 7.5 will break them. When I was younger and dumber used to shoot in the blizzard league against Wi. starting with the Red Eye shoot on Jan. 1 Temps are often in the twenties below zero, Fahrenheit, and you can tell the shooters that are using 8's they will get dust off a target but not break it occasionally. If they were from Mn. I would tell them if they were using 7.5 they would have broken that bird. If they were from Wi. I'd just smile. Actually we all are pretty good friends and the discussion about 7.5 vs. 8 in the winter is common. In the clubhouse with the heater cranked full blast.

Only use I have for 9 shot is to use it for sound and vibration isolation between my Polk towers and Velodyne subwoofers.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I also have 4 bags of 9 shot in the base of the printer stand that the swing arm monitor is connected to next to me to stabilize it. About the only thing I can think of where 9 shot is useful. Paid less than $10 a bag for it back then, now I have a small fortune in 9 shot ballast in my living room.

Last edited by Cold Iron; 08/07/21 12:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted by 28 gauge shooter

People have different ideas about killing snakes. Scientists tell us that the snakes do more good than bad by controlling other vermin and should not be killed. Some snakes are protected. I am kind of ambivalent about it; I usually walk around a rattler or moccasin while turkey hunting, but I'll kill one on sight in a dove field or anywhere around my home. I don't harm non-venomous snakes if I can help it....Geo

I kill venomous snakes on my property.
They’re safe from me anywhere else. We have big bull snakes here, and I welcome them to keep the field mice in check.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I kill poisonous snakes anywhere they may come in contact with a person. If I see one crossing a road, away from habitation or work areas, they get a pass. The one in the pic was at a gated entrance we go in and out of regularly, and have to get out of the truck to open and close the gate.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I do like the DR-16 wad. But I don't think I'm going to start using 9's for pheasants. For one thing, if you've got a rooster that's giving you a mostly going away angle, the head and neck become a very small target. I'd rather count on breaking wings and legs, and punching into other vital organs.

I'm pretty sure I've never shot a pheasant with 4's either. I like 5's well enough late season, but I really prefer 6's. I've shot a lot more pheasants inside of 30 yards than I have beyond 40. Late season roosters are tougher because they're all fully grown (vs the juveniles you'll shoot at the start of the season) and have also accumulated some fat. But depending on conditions and how much hunting pressure they've survived, they may not necessarily give you only long shots.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like an ounce of 5 or 6 for 16ga pheasants.

12ga pheasants get 1oz or 1 1/8oz of 4 or 6

I might shoot 7 1/2 at Sharptails but like #6

Doves get 7/8 oz of #8

These kill what I shoot.

Chokes are over rated.

I don't kill snakes except in Africa.

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by dukxdog

I hope that doesn't come back to bite you ..............

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by dukxdog

I hope that doesn't come back to bite you ..............

Funny Stan! I've been around a lot of rattlesnakes in WY and ID. Had a hunting dog get bit in the face once. I quit killing them when I found one trying to get down a hole but his middle was to large because of the mouse he had inside. They are good rodent control.

Africa snakes are aggressive. Their venoms are neurotoxic and necrotic. Get bit by either and you are in deep sheet. I don't like messing with them.

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.