March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 876 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All,

I just bought a 3-barrel rifle and need help with determining what the markings mean. I don't yet have the gun in hand, but found this information from the auction listing and an article in the 2015 Winter issue of the Double Gun Journal. Between the text referencing numbers that are found on the top of the frame, and the picture of the markings on the right side of the barrel, can you help to identify what they mean?
www.buckstix.com/buckpics/otto-00.jpg
www.buckstix.com/buckpics/otto-6.jpg
www.buckstix.com/buckpics/otto-1.jpg
www.buckstix.com/buckpics/otto-2.jpg
www.buckstix.com/buckpics/otto-3.jpg
www.buckstix.com/buckpics/otto-4.jpg
www.buckstix.com/buckpics/otto-5.jpg

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

That side-selector in the horn triggerguard bow is seen on Collath drillings. I'd have to dig a bit to find the origin. The Nr. 61920 might be a Gebrauchmuster? Sometimes in >>Schuss & Waffe<< one finds >>Sch.<< listing in the >>Patent- Liste<< - >>NachamtlichenQuellenzusammengestellt. Patent Anmeldungen<<. So it may have just been submitted or just applied or an application submitted? Nor sure if one finds a >>Sch<< in the Klasse 72 though?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too, those image links NEVER work for me on this BBS.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Selector as seen on Collath offerings.

Looks to wear >>16.5 g GBP STMG<< so that would be 16,5 grammes of G.B.P - Gewehr Blättchenpulver, a voluntary mark, semi-smokeless mind you, applied between 1891/3-1912.

Too, a bit of a pun and most amusing as it is actually a >>BockDrilling<<.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bock usually marketed guns made by others, so I wouldn't be too surprised to find it was made by Collath. BTW, not all the guns Collath made were the typical " slide forward and tip" type, so it is possible I guess. The links don't work for me either, a good look at all the markings would be helpful.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Collath did use the >>eccentric<< breech, bathtub / trough type where the tubeset slipped & mated to the bathtube type receiver. Too, these Collath >>Bathtub Breeches<< were always chambered in low pressure rounds, mosty Collath proprietary . I think then they had the Frankfurt proof facility @ under their roof/umbrella. But later like everyone else they sourced from Suhl & Zella - Mehlis. From the few marks I see, they lok to be from the Suhl proof facility on the Blitz type action / lock Bock-Dreiling.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lifted the following images from this fantastic Collath thread on NE:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/prin...dhunting&main=245837&type=thread

Also, Collath examples wore similar escutcheon with accents. But I am sure many others did also.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All,

I added direct links to the original post ..... see if the pictures show up for you now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buckstix,
We need clear photos of the proof marks, found under the barrels. You will have to remove the barrels to see them.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Threads on Otto Bock:

[Linked Image from i697.photobucket.com]
Otto Bock in 1907 at 52 years of age shouldering what is said to be a Nimrod with his loyal gundog Heiko. I think it says that Alice took the image or made it? "Nach einem Gem�lde von Frau Alice Bock-Wiukelrtiunn."

Period Nimrod Advert for Thieme und Schlegelmilch

Otto Bock hung out his gunmaking shingle on April 2nd, 1883 and had quite the 25th anniversary celebration in April of 1908. It may be that he received his Royal appointment at the same time? At the time of the founding, he seems to be heavily involved in taxidermy. Seems the story of collecting raptor eggs in Mecklenburg-Strelitz as a lad in the 5th grade? is true. From circa 1890 he was closely involved with hunting by supporting the young hunters as well as being receptive to the needs of veteran hunters with I think led to his bullet 9.3mm steel metal jacket bullet design. There was some Hauptmann Roth who kept his ear bent. And guess who was either his apprentice, employee or both: Paul Stadelmann who later owned E. Schmidt & Habermann. So guess where Otto Bock would have sourced. He reared 2 daughters and 3 sons, one of which was also Otto Bock.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=260244&page=1
Thread on Otto Bock DR<<

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=260244&page=1

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

>>[Linked Image from i697.photobucket.com]
Dr. A. Berger utilizing the 9.3mm bullet design of Otto Bock.

Otto Bock, Junior with his beginnings of a hunter and quite the shot.

If I have the gist of the tale correct, Otto Bock, Jr. was with his father at an Inn. The youngster asked the Innkeeper if he could warm up his scattergun or break it in on some pigeons that were scattered about the roof. In short order Otto Bock, Jr. began to pile them up and the innkeeper with a glass of lemondae attempted to persuade Otto Bock, Junior to give it a rest.

I still haven't found where Otto Bock, Senior, born in 1855 and should have been a master by circa 1880, was awarded his appointment as supplier to a court and as stated on a previous thread he may have been just supplying antlers. But he did use the title heavily for advertising and marketing.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=159483&page=1

In this 1890/1891 advert I see where he has won some medals but he doesn't appear to tout the Royal Appointment as antler supplier.<<

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.