April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (AaronN, Der Ami, fallschirmjaeger, arrieta2, Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 961 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,706
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#601616 08/19/21 10:35 PM
gunny Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I used Laurel mt rust blue solution and got a coat of copper on the barrels. What is this and why did it happen? should I continue or stop ? how can i remove the copper if I have to.
I don't have the instructions

Sidelock
Sidelock

Laurel Mountain, like many rust blue formulas, contains copper sulfate. One function of it is some light immediate bluish staining that helps you to see that you have applied an even coat without missing any spots. It will sometimes "plate out" a very thin wash of copper if you apply too much to the surface of the steel, or work it back and forth. You only need to apply very thin even coating with a lightly dampened applicator to get decent rusting. In fact, Laurel Mountain is somewhat agressive, and you may wish to dilute it with distilled or rain water so that it doesn't bite so much, especially in more warm and humid conditions. It may take more passes to get the depth of color you want, but the rust will have a finer grain, and you won't get so much of a matte finish. With a more aggressive rusting solution, you also will want to be careful to not let the rusting go on too long befor boiling and carding.

I don't know how much your solution has plated out, and if it will result in an uneven rusting if you continue. At this point, it may be easier to just polish it off and start over. Or you could continue on with a smaller part, and see how it goes.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well gunny this is a classic error. You have used too much of the solution in your haste to get things done, you should only have the application cloth/sponge just moistened you have had the barrel ruining in the solution allowing the Copper Sulfate in the solution to plate the steel. Remove the Copper plating and start again using a barely damp application cloth and things will improve. Take a look at Larry Potterfield's video on u tube he goes through the whole process of how to rust blue.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used Laurel Mountain solution to rust brown a barrel for a flintlock for my son a few weeks ago, I was surprised that
the bottle didn't come with instructions, but found them online here

Laurel Mountain instructions

I was pleased with the results, that being said, there is a big difference between a flintlock barrel and say a set of damascus barrels,
if you want, PM me with any questions you might have, I will try to help.

Fred

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

gunny, you might try acetone cleaned 0000 steel wool as an applicator.
Mike

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use foam paint brushes I use laurel MT.cut in half with water I have used Pilkington and brownells with good results if you don't cut the solution just watch how it converts so You won't get a really matte finish

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.