March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In this line I discussed two years ago what shotgun to get son who will be doing a lot of traveling in Alaska backwoods. We went with the Remington 870 Marine Magnum for obvious reasons.
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=445967&page=1

He's now up in Wainwright, Alaska. Noted ocean Kayaker Freya Hoffmeister has asked him to accompany her from Wainwright to Prudhoe Bay, about 250 miles. The weather starts deteriorating about this time (always a gale at Point Barrow) and they'll need to get to Prudhoe Bay by 20 September I'd reckon.

This is an extremely polar bear infested region. Luckily I'd saved 20 Brenneke Black Magic slugs...you just cannot get them anymore. Below are two photos from Barrow (I like the "palm trees") and Freya satellite journey of her voyage to circumnavigate North America by Kayak can be followed on this site:
http://freyahoffmeister.com/posts/

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

My brother in law had a cousin who was into serious paddling treks. Don Starkell. He left Winnipeg by canoe and traveled to the headwaters of the Amazon. Let that sink in. Wrote a book about that one called, you guessed it....Paddle to the Amazon.

I've paddled a number of the old fur trade routes and have gone from the Rockies (Banff) to Thunder Bay. So I know a little something about long distance canoeing. Going to the Amazon blows my mind.

He also tried to do the NorthWest passage by canoe, solo. He had to call it quits on that one and be evacuated. The polar bears were tracking him and he wasn't able to sleep. To say they are a problem is understating things.

Last edited by canvasback; 08/22/21 12:30 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've tried to figure out how your Brother-in-law got to the Atlantic from Winnipeg. I figure he had to go north to Lake Winnipeg, wind his way to Lake of the Woods following the old Voyageurs route and down to Lake Superior. I'll look for the book when I get home.

I have tried to warn son that he and Freya might have to take turns awake. The kayaking expedition which circumnavigated the Svalbard Archipelago had to do that...they fired dozens of flares at night to keep the bears away. I've given him enough warnings; kayakers only want positive thoughts in the last days before an expedition and Freya has circumnavigated South America. But she seems pretty nonchalant about bears.

Maybe I need that Manufrance .450 SxS after all.

Arctic Ocean between 76-81 degrees north, Svalbard Archipelago has seen a number of attempts by expedition kayakers over the years, the last being in 2010 when two Norwegian paddlers were attacked by a polar bear while sleeping in their tent. In order to save the man, who the polar bear had dragged from the tent by his head, the other had to shoot the bear dead while not hitting his mauled team mate. Despite this known harsh reality, Sharp’s dream persisted. With the constant threat of polar bears the kayakers slept in shifts with one person awake at all times on ‘polar bear watch’ to guard their camp. Numerous times they were forced to use rifles and signal gun shots to scare away bears, some in excess of 800kg and which came within 50m of their camp. They saw a total of 40 bears during their expedition. The most intense encounter required 13 rifle rounds and 6 flash bangs to repel a single bear, only to have yet another one come at the group only a minute later. “Sometimes you just have to use the rifle” Porsanger states bluntly. Thankfully the group never had to shoot a polar bear in defense, which by Norwegian law would have brought their trip to a premature end.

Last edited by Argo44; 08/22/21 01:37 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I floated down the Au Sable one AT in a inner tube. Was getting a bit peckish so when I hit town (Grayling) I embarked on a harrowing walk in flip flops to BK for a Whopper and Dr. Pepper.

https://images.app.goo.gl/hTXAMFiq8MbFmGpn9

Thusly fortified I continued down the river to where we parked the 5 ton.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Uhhh L, would you use 9 shot on those skeeters?

Last edited by Argo44; 08/22/21 02:14 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
Uhhh L, would you use 9 shot on those skeeters?

Not sure. But a big can of Deep Woods Off sure would have been nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lonesome roads
I floated down the Au Sable one AT in a inner tube. Was getting a bit peckish so when I hit town (Grayling) I embarked on a harrowing walk in flip flops to BK for a Whopper and Dr. Pepper.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Paddle to the Amazon - now a movie?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Brittany Man
Originally Posted by lonesome roads

Amen to all that. But the place was packed and I only had five bucks on me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.