March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Borderbill, ChiefAmungum, JDH, KDGJ, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 366 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,989
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Having driven to Denver this morning to an ophthalmologist to get help for severe allergic conjunctivitis, I can’t stop thinking about how quickly this air pollution issue has gotten extreme. For three summers now Colorado and much of the west has been covered for 2-4 months with wildfire smoke. At 72 I’d never had allergies but 3 years ago they began and now the progression of symptoms has become so severe once the smoke starts that I have become house bound. Last year it sounded crazy to seriously consider temporarily relocating but after a few weeks of “house arrest” this summer we drove 800 miles east (to outrun the smoke) and stayed a month where we could see and breathe. Back less than two weeks now it’s worse than ever. We were leaving later this week for Idaho to visit grandkids but cancelled this morning because that state is again smack in the middle of the river of smoke from the North Cal fires.

Last summer Colorado experienced the three largest wildfires on record. We were run out of our high mountain summer campsite by smoke but I felt far worse for all the hunters who’d saved and planned for a special hunt in the fall but couldn’t go because of fire or fire damage. I can’t imagine how moose hunters felt who’d waited 20-30 years to draw a tag and then saw the area they drew burn.

I’ve spent plenty of time at the reloading bench as well as my tying bench this summer but I haven’t shot clays or trout fished once since the smoke arrived in June and I know it’s going to be another month or two before any outdoor activities are an option. My airtight motorcyclist sunglasses arrive tomorrow and my N95 will filter a lot of the smoke particulates so I’m not giving up.

While my greatest grief is for those who lose their homes and livelihoods in these wildfires, it seems clear to me now (even though I can’t actually see clearly right now) that the page has turned for us in the west and perhaps the whole country and participation in year round outdoor sports may not be the same again in our lifetimes.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

The objective professional management of our natural resources and intelligent logging when appropriate would solve most of the wildfire issues...not all...but most.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, John Roberts
Boxlock
Boxlock

These mega fires are not related to forest management and logging is not going to solve the problem. It's 20 years of historic drought brought on by climate change. I know some people want to believe there is a simple solution (like logging) but there isn't.

3 members like this: graybeardtmm3, Dan S. W., LGF
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Greg McReynolds
These mega fires are not related to forest management and logging is not going to solve the problem. It's 20 years of historic drought brought on by climate change. I know some people want to believe there is a simple solution (like logging) but there isn't.

Bullshit. Read:

https://realclimatescience.com/1500-years-of-heatwaves/

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

We don't need more logging. We need intelligent forest management, which entails letting fires burn whenever possible and thinning the dense stands of skinny single age trees that come up after clear cutting. Those explode in a fire, unlike park-like old growth in which the understory burns regularly and old trees don't. Unfortunately, the small trees are not economically valuable so that thinning isn't done. But between whole forests of dense matchsticks and warming-driven drought, it may be too late to start managing forests right.

Ted, how many genuine climate scientists contribute to that website? How many instances of global, coordinated, mass scientific fraud can you name? Anyone who thinks that is possible knows nothing of science or scientists. They fall all over themselves to disprove their colleagues' ideas, so the notion that tens of thousands would collude in global fraud is absurd. Anyone with data to disprove human-caused climate change would rush into print and win all the Nobels at once.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein

Mr. Schefelbein,

If I have written something offensive, show me where. There is no need to be rude. Also, you linked to a blog that appears to be run by a madman who carries a teacup yorkie around in a picnic basket. What does that have to do with wildfire driven by climate change?

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The drought is very real as are the poor forest management practices that have led to an abundance of fuel on our Federal forest lands. Anyone who has been in the West the last three summers knows that this is not normal. Summers here use to have clear air not some of the worst air in the world. No easy solutions but an increase in logging will help. We have had small scale clearing going on in my area for sometime but not near enough of it. The levels of the Colorado River, Lake Powell and Lake Mead are are at historic lows. We in the West have been receiving far less moisture in the last 20 years than we did in the 20th century and that is a fact.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh to be in northern new england in the summertime.

The tempertures are delightful, the humity sublime.

Occasionally there is a drought of a month or so

but never long enough to cause us woe.

It rains enough to keep our world green

but not so much as to cause us to be mean.

Soon fall in all its glory will be here

with all of the seasonal variety we hold so dear.

These changes remind us that nothing good or bad is forever.

So endure or enjoy and be diligent at your endeavor...

Last edited by ed good; 08/24/21 06:59 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Greg McReynolds

Climate change brought on by people like Al Gore.....same idiot that invented the internet.

Climate changers forget that 40 years ago scientific propaganda had us headed towards an ice age....

Thing is if the climate does change there is not a damn thing we can do to stop it.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In California bark beetle cause so much of the trees to die they were never cleared so the Forest burnt when ever there was a plan environmentalists lawyers shut it down. the globe has been warming since the last ice age nothing we do in the United States will change anything as long as China builds a coal fired power plant per week poor management of resources is a problem

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.