Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've begun to plan for my pilgrimage to the North Woods here. This year will be quite different from past years for many reasons, the biggest being the absence of my father-in-law. I'm (thankfully) mostly past the hardest parts of operating up there without him and figure that I've been in training for this position for almost 20-years now (longer depending on how one gauges training for such a thing). I've made a list of the guns that will be going with me, doped out how much ammo to take for each (not figuring on finding much up there or even in the near term here). I've also listed each and every little article of clothing (and other useful artifacts) that I'll be packing along for this sojourn. I'm driving again to avoid the flaming hassle that flying has become (w/guns and, of course, everything else), so I'm even plotting out the course I'll be taking across the vastness that is still our wonderful Mid-West in this country. Not sure what I'll encounter up in the rural parts of Nowhere Minnesota this year, but I'm figuring on even-more limited resources there (because of all the Covid-related interruptions in the various supply-chains that we all so-desperately rely upon). I'll also be using a very fuel-efficient automobile to help deal with the now very expensive fuels I'll likely be encountering (thankfully, two resident 4x4s still stand at the ready there). This trip will easily double the time I normally spend up there (4-weeks plus), so medications and even remote bill-paying will also be a considerations this year. By the end of it all I'll likely have gone-native, with a full beard and hopefully a replenished larder. A true Jack-Pine Savage at last!

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/29/21 06:14 PM.
1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
Sidelock
Sidelock

how far will you be from international falls?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Less than 2-hours.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
Go get'em! Getting out in the fall always refreshes and resets me. I'll be getting up to Michigan's eastern U.P. this year for my first try at Sharptail Grouse. I hope you have a great season!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just saw on TV some major forest fires near Ely. Hope they don't get near your intended destination. Ely is where we used to set out into the BWCA.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good

The ancestral home of Rocky & Bullwinkle.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by canvasback
Originally Posted by ed good

The ancestral home of Rocky & Bullwinkle.

They were from Frostbite Falls. Totally different Zip code.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Carl46
Just saw on TV some major forest fires near Ely. Hope they don't get near your intended destination. Ely is where we used to set out into the BWCA.

6 weeks to go for me. Loyd we have had some conversations in the past. I hunt well to the East of you on the tip of the Arrowhead in Lake and Cook.

Fires are real, and a real threat. Hope they don't end up in your neck of the woods.

I know pretty much every square inch of the Greenwood Lake fire. DNR expects first containment Sept. 1. GIS programmer put together a layered map that drills down to the landowners level. Not there is not a lot of people that own land in Superior NF but there is. I have hunted every bit of the current burning area.

It is updated every couple of hours.

Map

Up to date Greenwood fire map

I know the area from the Falls to LOW well. Although now grouse hunt in Lake and primarily Cook County.

The Gunflint is closed from the North End of the lake where the cabin is North.

Going to be an interesting year but I really hope not too interesting.

Fingers crossed for both of us! Dryer than a popcorn fart.

SD isn't looking much better at least on the NC ND area 30 miles East of the River. According to the Admiral that stopped on his way back through East when I gave him a bunch of 16 ga. shells he said anyone with beef cattle is selling them ASAP. Of course they have already authorized selling of CRP crops. And most farmers have already said they aren't going to harvest and thrown in the towel. Go to SD first 2 weeks of Nov. because they normally have the crops out then or are working on it. Going to be an interesting year to say the least across the upper midwest.

Good luck!!

Son of my current Toller will be 11 months old in October. He is a real PITA with impulse control. But I am so looking forward to seeing the light come on in his eyes. Mn. or SD don't care but hope it happens first on ruff. After that it is fun and games being his first year. And my last with a pup given my age.

Like Clint said a man has to know his limitations. Almost scares me that I finally understand that now....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Lloyd, you spend that much time in northern MN, once you return we're going to see a lot of posts that start with "Ya sure, you betcha!"

Back when I was in the Army Reserve, I did a couple 6 week long tours of active duty at Ft McPherson in Atlanta. Returned home to Iowa where I'd catch myself saying "y'all".

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.